Wednesday, July 19, 2006

ran into Dan after PUSHOVER...

I was heading home from catching PUSHOVER at the Brattle last night when I ran into Dan. I saw him a few seconds before he saw me, and it was just the shape of his head, turned away from me, maybe together with his walk, that I recognized. In the seconds between my seeing him and his seeing me I realized that it was just about time for us to crossover again. We do this every year or so. Uncanny.

Got me thinking... I'm probably just about due to run into Neal again...

Dammit, why can't I be a human being and keep in touch with people? Bleah.

Dan's great. He's thoughtful, genuine, ready to tackle or talk about anything, seriously goofy. He's always remembering the best and most positive things about people. Or at least, that's all he ever repeats out loud, heh. But then, with me, he's got material that goes all the way back to... 1987? Wack. Yeah, we're nerd camp vets.

He was with a small posse, post food and drinks, I'd guess, and meandering his way from Harvard Square to his friend Ray's car to get home. We hit each other's highlights... Work's decent for both of us. What's "rails on rudy?" He still hasn't figured out what he really wants to do. Yeah, I'm still playing volleyball. No, clients aren't really asking for animation, but we're doing a lot of work in Flash. Apparently he never got the link to my Santa this past year, bleah. We just had enough walking time to get to the part where we talk about our fantasy collaboration - an animated short or series, good story, music, kitbashed styles and genres...

Maybe when one of us wins the lottery.

PUSHOVER was great fun. Nothing very sophisticated or daring visually, but a nice dip into noir and simple fun with hardboiled dialogue and scenarios, a la "Money isn't dirty... only people..."

Kim Novak (filed under Hitchcock's VERTIGO) plays the femme fatale, a thief's kept gal, who seduces undercover detective Fred MacMurray (of MY THREE SONS and Disney films =) into using his advantageous position to seize the dough from her fugitive beau's latest heist and run away together. Simple, no? What could go wrong? Well, that's sorta the point, innit? =)

There's a great second plot running throughout involving MacMurray's partner, Rick, a stand-up guy who's apparently had hard luck with the ladies and still has his heart set on settling down with a decent girl.

They work the stakeout on Kim's apartment together and everytime he's at the window w the binoculars and supposed to be observing Kim, his gaze wanders next door, to the home of spunky hard-working nurse Stewart. Over time he finds himself following her comings and goings, worrying about her when she doesn't arrive home at the usual hour.

Of course, they eventually have a run-in in the lobby of the apartment building. The cop is waiting for the elevator and notices the nurse being harrassed by some fellow, apparently her date for the evening. She politely and firmly calls it a night, but the guy thinks he can make it last if he grabs her purse and plays "why-don't-you-make-me?" with it. Enter our detective, who tells the guy to back off with the proper hardnosed "the lady said she's not interested" language. The masher won't back down until the cop gives him a good arm twist and a shove toward the front doors.

Needless to say, nurse Stewart is impressed. The two make a little conversation at the elevator, with her eyes dancing just a little at this great big hunk of a man, and him giving gruff little replies. She throws in a few choice words about the trouble jerks like the masher can cause her. At that, the cop asks her the crowd-pleasing, "Wouldn't it just be simpler to just avoid his type in the first place?"

Heh.

Frack. I wish I remembered more of the dialogue. It was just such a perfect overcompensating overprotective turn of a phrase in that exchange, and a scene closer.

I think the Brattle blurb mentions its owing its plot to DOUBLE INDEMNITY (w Barbra Stanwyck and MacMurray), but falls short of its seething greatness. Still, I'm a sucker for this kind of film. I saw that the Brattle's "Rare Film Noir" Tuesdays (last night was the first in the series) got a write-up in the Phoenix. It was great seeing the theater full for a 7.30 show on a Tuesday. And when I was leaving, it looked like a bit more than half the room was planning on staying for the double feature. Alas, I was just too beat to last. Maybe next week. I usedta hit the Monday night noirs at the Brattle in pretty regular streaks. I'm hoping to hit at least one of the rarities every Tuesday coming up through August.

Something to do.

Keep on keepin on~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would that be CTY? Just saw this in Slate: Nerd Camp.

Yeah, I was a CTY kid, too...

cabinboy said...

Why am I not surprised? =)

Ayep. The "Center for Talented Youth." Concentration camp for nerdlings. That write-up in Slate read pretty bland to me. Maybe it was the site and session she attended, or perhaps she left out any real juicy comments or insights to protect the not-so-innocent.

It's where I learned to penny-lock people in their dorm rooms, play ultimate in a lightning storm, I was a volleyball junkie (but for years, only in the summers), who the Amish are, what Turkey Hill is, first won a "design" contest (for the "U of Gil" t-shirt one session, and with a blatant rip-off of a FAR SIDE cartoon : P), and first heard (and enjoyed) The Cure, Depeche Mode, Erasure, They Might Be Giants, the B-52s, "Time Warp," and even "American Pie." Also, first read Greek philosophers, studied prob/stat, and had fun with calculus.

If I were to chuck an aerobie in some random direction from the center of Harvard Square, I wonder how many dozens of CTY vets I'd hit...

I've just recently become re-friended with a long-lost CTYer, Jessie, thru a late night clicking-thru of a chain of blogroll and friend links. Kooky, no? And less than six degrees away.

One of my college roommates and best friends, Jim, I first met at CTY, although I'm pretty sure he'll deny having had any association with me there. He may have gone so far as to actually subconsciously block any of our contact out of memory (of course, I have photos =).

Another of my college roommates, and OGRE rocker extraordinaire, Ross, he and his wife, now high school teachers, both ended up teaching at a CTY site for a few summers.

Let's do the Time Warp again~

The more things change, the more I stay the same... Hohum.