Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Watch-A-Thon 2008: starting line!

To you, my oh-so-very charming and attractive friend/family member/acquaintance or friend-of-a-friend whose email address I pilfered from a mass mailing---

Greetings and salutations!

Have I mentioned how good you're looking this afternoon? I mean, really! Just, well, really good! Smart even! And I don't simply mean sharply dressed, I mean, actually more intelligent than the goofuses next to you. Just really really good and smart! Now that I take you in and give it some thought, I must say, I'm rather lucky to even know you.

So good looking! You're a terrible distraction, you know. I must focus...

*deep breath*

Brian Paik here. I'm writing to let you know that I'll be participating in the Brattle Theater's Third Annual Movie Watch-A-Thon this October, and to ask if you'll support my "run." The Brattle Theater—maybe I mentioned it once or twice?—is a unique non-profit cinema located in Harvard Square, with programming that features the best of classic, cutting-edge, foreign, indie, camp, cult, and documentary fare, accompanied by freshly popped popcorn and real melted butter. =)

The Watch-A-Thon is just the sort of craziness you'd guess it is, "just like those walking and running fundraisers, but without all the pesky running and walking!" Substitute the perambulating with intensive, exhausting bottom-planting, popcorn-eating, and movie-watching. And, like those other fundraisers, I'm seeking per-movie sponsorship as well as flat donations in support. If you're up for pledging an amount per-movie, please get in touch with me. If you'd like to make a flat donation, you can do that online via my firstgiving page.

What's in it for you? Hrmm...

Well, how about this? If you're a moviegoer who for whatever reason hasn't taken advantage of the cinematic goodness that is the Brattle, I'd be right pleased to introduce you to it sometime this Watch-A-Thon month. My treat. Check out the theater schedule for October and let me know what you're interested in and I'll try to work it in. If you come out of the experience pleasantly satisfied, I hope you'll consider sponsoring or donating.

Or even if you don't. =)

There's also another way you can take advantage of the Watch-A-Thon action—by participating! The idea, of course, is to get you to raise funds for the theater, but, y'know, being a booster-fundraiser is not for everyone. But get this, there's a 'thon registration fee of $50 ($35 if you've got student ID). As a 'thon participant, that fee buys you free admission to any Brattle screening from October 1 to November 1. If you can make six films in that month, you're getting a damn good deal, especially given your cinematic options...

Running for the first 2 weeks of October, it's "Return To The Grindhouse!"—genuine fried grindhouse fare co-programmed by Lars Nilsen, director of the Alamo Drafthouse Theater. We're talking SEX DEMONS, TOYS ARE NOT FOR CHILDREN, ROLLING THUNDER, CHAINED HEAT, and more!

That's followed by "The Compleat Lord Of The Rings" long weekend, featuring the extended director's cuts of the Peter Jackson cinematic adaptations of the Tolkien LOTR trilogy.

Then it's a week of "Carole Lombard: No Dumb Blonde," showcasing the talents of the Hollywood comedic starlet of the 30s and 40s in some classic films, including MY MAN GODFREY, NO DUMB BLONDE, and MR. & MRS. SMITH.

The month winds down with a week long premiere engagement of FRONTRUNNERS, a documentary about the campaigns, strategery, and politicking of the election season... at Stuyvesant high school in NYC.

And Halloween brings the premiere of the Flaming Lips' CHRISTMAS ON MARS (subtitled "A Fantastical Film Freakout Featuring the Flaming Lips")!

So, I hope you'll check out my firstgiving page and then consider donating online or getting in touch to pledge sponsorship. And hey, I'm not kidding about pimping a trip to the Brattle in exchange for your consideration. Let me know. =)

You can find out more about the theater, its October offerings, and the Watch-A-Thon at the Brattle's site.

Thanks for your time and your support! =)

Keep on keepin on~

p.s. I mean, really, really, really, just so very good looking. You've been working out, haven't you? I can tell. I can totally tell.

p.p.s. Just... just... Wow! Just wow!

No comments: