Saturday, September 18, 2010

TIFF 2010 so far...

So, I'm in Toronto! And I'm seeing films at the Toronto International Film Festival! And it's pretty frickin shweet! =)

I arrived on Thursday and knocked off two films, an evening MONSTERS (understatedly awesome!) and a midnight madness screening of THE BUTCHER, THE CHEF, AND THE SWORDSMAN (very fun, but missed half its shots at my funny bone). I kicked Friday off with an early afternoon DETECTIVE DEE (Tsui Hark + Andy Lau awesome!), then an early evening BUNRAKU (genre-mashing awesome!), and finished with a nighttime CONFESSIONS (dark, vengeful, Japanese awesome!). And today began with a very crisp, if slightly clunky, REPEATERS (I *had* to get in at least one Canadian film) followed by a great romp of a post-apoc road movie, STAKE LAND (some more awesome genre mashing, this time, with vampires!).

Several of the screenings have had post-show Q&A with filmmakers, so, I got to see and hear the director and stars of MONSTERS, the director of BUTCHER, the director and stars of STAKE LAND. And, thanks to my digital camera and the interwebz, you get to see some of them, too...

Here's me, explaining the WristStrong spiel to STAKE LAND director Jim Mickle, who was game for taking up the cause...


To raise awareness as efficiently as possible, you're supposed to pass a bracelet on to celeb-types, like pro athletes and entertainers, famous individuals whose faces—and hopefully, wrists—are seen by many people. I predict Mr. Mickle will prove to be a strong WristStrong campaigner in the near future.


Outside the theater, I caught the vampire-hunting stars of the film, from left to right, Sean Nelson (soldier Willy), Nick Damici (hunter Mister), and Connor Paolo (helper Martin, but you *might* know him better as the youngest van der Woodsen =). Nick and Connor were excellent as master and apprentice hunters in the post-vampocalypse of STAKE LAND.


Alas, vampoc survivors Kelly McGillis (a sweet surprise in the role of Sister), Danielle Harris (plucky young siren, Belle), and charismatic cult leader Michael Cerveris (lately of FRINGE, excellent as the vengeful extremist Jebedia) were not spotted. Cerveris WAS part of the Q&A, but I didn't see him afterward. McGillis was reportedly newly married that day. And I thought Harris was in town, but I guess wasn't available for that particular screening. O well.

Pretty frickin cool. =)

Keep on keepin on~

No comments: