Sunday, April 29, 2007

iffb 2007 so far...

Two nights of vball and workywork knocked out almost all of the Thursday and Friday IFFB offerings. I let the details of the festival slide until the beginning of this week anyhow. All of the "After Dark" offerings were easy stand-outs, tho, so I made sure I'd hit those, then set about building the rest of my moviegoing itinerary around the timeslots that remained. And also whenever I could successfully motivate myself out of the homestead. Which has been kind of tough of late...

* April 30. A little note to aggravate myself later when I come back to look at what I saw at the IFFB this year. Celebrity/filmmaker appearances I missed (not that I could've done anything but be a starstruck fanboy)... Will Arnett (ARRESTED's G.O.B.!), Eliza Dushku (Faith!), James Urbaniak (Dr. frickin Venture!)!

*sigh*


So, what I've managed to screen so far, and what I plan to hit tomorrow (Sunday)...

BLACK SHEEP (w "Death Trike"). Friday, midnight. Brattle.
A must-see for horror fans. Those frickin New Zealanders have got some innate talent for creative gore with great characters driven by so much more than an excuse of a story. An almost throw-away joke of a horror concept—genetically engineered bloodthirsty sheep—but executed gorgeously and played to the hilt. Throw in some classic and strong sibling rivalry and horror/hero motifs and you've got a baaadass hilarious action/horror flick!

COMRADES IN DREAMS. Saturday, 12.30pm. Somerville Davis.
A touching portrait of very personal cinema venues in four corners of the world. I love it. It's a tear jerker and a dreams stoker.

AUDIENCE OF ONE. Saturday, 3.30pm. Somerville Davis.
A great documentary, something of a slow-motion train wreck, focused on an incredible subject—a Pentecostal minister receives a vision from God instructing him to direct a science-fiction film as an entertainment vehicle to better spread His word! It's JESUS CAMP meets STATE AND MAIN... or AND GOD SPOKE, but fer real.

KING OF KONG. Saturday, 7.15pm. Brattle.
Awesomely McAwesome. If you get the chance, do not miss it!

THE BEACH PARTY AT THE THRESHOLD OF HELL (w "Songbird"). Saturday, 11.30pm. Brattle.
Witness the birth of the nation of New America in the post-apocolyptic wasteland of 2097! If you dig a quirky approach to post-apocolyptic settings (more with the oddball characters and social and political commentary than the turbo-charged chase scenes and action sequences) you might check this out, but I wouldn't make it a priority. Has some very fun ideas and some decent moments of style, but I personally wish it was more tightly edited, more polished. As a fried near-midnight offering with a good crowd of people, it didn't completely suck. The ending implied follow-up chapters/sequels, but I'm not holding my breath.

KING CORN. Sunday, 12pm. Brattle.

SUPER AMIGOS. Sunday, 5pm. Brattle.

FIDO. Sunday, 9pm. Somerville Davis.

Throw in a sweet random run-in with an old friend between shows at the Somerville theater and that's not a bad couple days at the movies. =)

Eh. It's sort of a life. Sort of?
Keep on keepin on~

No comments: