Friday, November 18, 2005

smartin' cheek & Wednesday movies update...

Dagnabbit. Just as I was starting to feel comfortable in my bottom left - or should that be left bottom? - I had to go and crash-land on it again at volleyball tonight! Frack, that smarts. Still, gettin down to get that ball up resulted in a very hittable set for teammate Kathy. We won the point.

Still still, me bum hurts.

Speaking of hurting bums, I am one as well as have one. Kathy, I'm so sorry for TACKLING you at vball tonight! I had a moment to see what was about to happen and tried to catch you and not take you out, but I couldn't kill my moronic momentum. I do hope I didn't do you any lasting damage. I'm an eejit.

I was talking to Maurice earlier in the day, and I mentioned how I'd once basically gotten kicked in the face by a teammate during a play. Immediately understanding that that meant that I'd hurled myself across and onto the floor, he told me he wasn't surprised, and that seeing me play outdoors this summer, he'd caught himself saying a prayer for me more than once when I went lunging like a fool for this ball or that. "It's only one point!"

I told him I had a defective gene for self-preservation. I meant it as a joke, but I half-sit here now and I've gotta wonder...

Well, no volleyball for me for a few days now. Just hours and hours of sitting on my half-ass in the dark munching on popcorn and suckin down soda...

And again, I've gotta wonder...

Wednesday night I hit the Brattle for two more screenings. The first, RAJA, is a Doillon film. It was a bit on the long side, but on average I liked it. Unfortunately, it definitely starts stronger than it finishes. A 40-something Frenchman living on an estate in Marakesh falls hard for a 19 year old girl hired to work in his garden. He's not sure of her feelings for her, but believes he can win her over. There are some very fun situations created as the Frenchman, Frederick, tries to make his feelings known to the young woman, Raja. Neither is fluent in the other's language, so there are moments when Fred, speaking French, expresses himself very frankly, addressing Raja directly about the way she makes him feel, but Raja can only parrot parts of what he says, or reply, "Oui," with a shy smile or laugh. Other times, it's Raja who tells it like it is, and Fred who remains clueless.

It's remarkable what they can say to each other, but, y'know, not actually communicate. It reminded me of that amazing little exchange between young Mary and George by Mr. Gower's soda fountain in IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE. Remember how George lost his hearing in one ear after falling in the ice when he was younger? Well, in this scene, George is behind the counter bent over and in front of Mary - maybe scooping some ice cream for a float? - all the while explaining his grand plans for being a great world explorer. And Mary leans into him and whispers something like... "Is this the ear you can't hear in? George Bailey, I'll love you til the day that I die." And he goes on with his world explorer spiel, none the wiser.

Goldang, I do love that. =)

Unfortunately, the loss in translation between Fred and Raja that makes for these fun, funny, and romantic unwitting monologues also allows for all kinds (a few too many) of painful misunderstandings. A series of these snowballing disconnects end up causing them both a lot of misery. Not the feel-good movie of the season, but not the most godawful rental option, y'know, if you're in the mood for a frustrating romantic drama.

When I got to the Brattle Wednesday night for RAJA I was 50-50 about sticking around for the second film, an encore of A MAN ESCAPED. Fate decided it for me when I stepped outside after RAJA into a torrential downpour. Perfect weather for a second screening of a French prison break picture, oui? Oui, indeed. Still a very well-crafted meticulous prison and escape film.

Sleepytime now.
Keep on keepin on~

The best thing I ever heard:
"What the hell? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a FOOT!"
--- Peter Griffin, FAMILY GUY

No comments: