Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Sunday movies update...

Haven't got the time just now for my rambling reviews, so I'm gonna try and keep them short. You KNOW that's not easy for me, heh.

Overall, Sunday was a great day for brian-movies relations. I got my hands on a collection of Wong Kar Wai DVDs and got to see two excellent films on the big screen.

WALLACE AND GROMIT: THE CURSE OF THE WERE-RABBIT.
Brilliant! Hilariously satisfying for all ages (provided you're not so "mature" that you can't adore clay characters with British accents)! Nick Park and the Aardman animation team deliver so many great stop-motion animated action scenes, along with great characterization, it's just, well, frickin brilliant. There is so much thoughtful cinematography in here, and every frame of the picture is so rich with detail AND entertainment (try to catch all the headlines in the newspapers you see at the breakfast table =). I don't know the who's who of their voice talent, but I imagine it must've been a real event having Wallace doing double entendre dialogue with Helena Bonham Carter. Too fun =)

And a bonus, at least at the screening I caught at Fenway - A holiday short starring the MADAGASCAR penguins (alas, can't remember the title). I hafta say they were the best part of the movie for me, and they are great in this little, very action-packed short.

PONETTE.
This is one of Doillon's own films in the Cahiers Du Cinema series at the Brattle. It's a sweet, remarkable movie about a 5 year old girl coming to terms with the sudden passing of her mother. Through interactions with her father, her aunt, her teachers, but mostly, her very knowledgeable peers, she struggles to learn what it means that her mother has died, and how she might be able to see and be with her again. Except for a few adults, the cast of main characters is all 4 and 5 year old children and the performances Doillon gets out of them are really amazing.

Allright, I gotta motor now to get myself to volleyball this evening. Thanks for reading and sponsoring!
Keep on keepin on~

No comments: