Wednesday, October 03, 2007

two trailers what gave me goosebumps...

Forgot to mention that before hunkering down for WINTER, I found myself completely entranced by trailers for two films I can't wait to soak in...

Richard "DONNIE DARKO (the original for me, thanks)" Kelly's SOUTHLAND TALES...

I dig this guy's brain. In DONNIE D, he caught on film the best cinema dialogue about the Smurf way of life I've ever encountered... Granted, it may have been the only cinema dialogue about the Smurf way of life I've ever encountered, but that doesn't make it any less spot-on brilliant. I'ts kind of dangerous how button-pushing and captivating the trailer is to me. That would be just the sort of thing an alien researcher could use to lure me out in the open somewhere before abduction, probing, tagging, and release. I like.

...and Johnnie "ELECTION" To's EXILED...

...which will be playing as part of the Brattle's BOSTON FANTASTIC FILM FESTIVAL next week!

I've seen three Johnnie To films (that I know of, I might've seen a couple and not known him by name at the time), and they're all excellent cops and gangster intrigue tales. And I do love me some Anthony Wong. I first saw him as psycho killer Hong Kong triad leader in John Woo's HARD BOILED. Around that time, I heard some story about how he was an actual gangster with his fingers in the HK film industry, who funded film projects to get himself starring roles. I haven't heard anything definitive that counters that story, and frankly, I hope I don't, cuz I kinda like it. Especially now that I've seen him in a wide range of films and characters, a lot of them police officers and detectives, heh, most recently in the INFERNAL AFFAIRS series, which inspired THE DEPARTED. He frickin rocks.

The Brattle will also be playing DARKO soon (the superior original cut, according to the Brattle listing), in conjunction w the Cambridge ART, which is putting on a live stage version of the story. Wack.

Keep on keepin on~

No comments: