Saturday, July 08, 2006

DEAD MAN'S CHEST

Just saw it tonight and very much enjoyed the whole thing. When I think about it, the only thing that's almost a criticism is that its OVERLY designed. The plot is, like, EIGHT plots all interweaved, y'know? And almost EVERY little thing is significant. Which really means that there are a lot of layers, set-ups, and connections, and you can get a LOT out of it if you're paying attention. Or, you can just sorta sit back and enjoy the action and humor.

Gotta love zombie monkeys!

Maybe that's just what happens when you conscientiously create and shoot a part two and a part three KNOWING that they go together, y'know? Like BACK TO THE FUTURE 2 & 3 and MATRIX RELOADED and REVOLUTIONS...

Like THE MATRIX's sequels, this doesn't beat the original. The original was just such a unique surprise, and raised the bar for all movies based on amusement park rides. The sequels could really only offer more of the same material, with some new characters and developing back and forward story. The one thing I felt they let slide compared to the original was the skillful and artful combat. CHEST went more for melee and larger scale physical comedy, successfully, but man, I really appreciated the spectrum and quality of the action in PIRATES 1. The sword/fencing duel between the prettyboys in the barn/workshop, w the seesaw and the rafters—that was HK action worthy, or at least modern French swashbuckler good. And when the action hits the open sea, they deliver with some well done RED OCTOBER captain vs. captain strategery and trickery. In PIRATES 2 there's certainly enough action, but the longer scenes are more comedic set pieces than battles, and any real combat carries on just long enough to move on to the next eight interweaved plot points. Not a bad thing. It's just me missing stuff from the first.

DAMN if Johnny Depp doesn't have the most uncanny timing. Perfect. Has he done straight comedy (and not "just" eccentric character) in any films?

I really like how there's "evil" in Davey Jones, but the REALLY sinister bastard is the East India Company toolbox sitting in his commandeered parlor back at Port Royal or wherever.

The ending is a very nice set-up for the sequel. Movie jerk that I am, I hafta say that I just KNEW it was gonna be Geoffrey Rush showing up to save Jack Sparrow. And I insisted on hanging out for the extra little post-credits bit that just had to be there. Movie jerk again, I called it, altho I originally figured it would be a little throwaway treat in the next film.

I'm kind of amazed at the very talented star power the PIRATES franchise is drawing. Stellan Saarsgard? Altho, he's sort of proved himself to be a moviemaking slut in some of his past choices of roles, heh. I heard that Keith Richards is signed up to appear in PIRATES 3... Could that be true? Jack Sparrow's father, perhaps? I mean, what better role model for the loony mascara'd pirate, right?

Allright, it's frickin 1.45am. I should really make myself sleep so that I can get up to get to the beach.

Keep on keepin on~

No comments: