Saturday, July 22, 2006

a fabulous day at the beach!

Although it might not look like it to the untrained eye, THIS...



...is a really good day for volleyball at the beach! I'd mustered a party of eight with a couple of maybes to show this morning for some doubles at Nahant. Alas, half that crew never showed. Keri got in touch to let me know that she wasn't in shape to play today. I'm guessing the rest were scared off by the beautiful weather. Foo. Really too bad, cuz days like this turn out to be grand for volleyball. The wind isn't harsh, if it's blowing at all. The beach is quiet and parking is not a problem... and FREE! (at least today =) No sun to burn the eyeballs or the skin. A fine day for volleyball.

O well, half of eight still leaves us with doubles =)

Yoon, Kurt, Rowan, and I, along with Kurt's son Alex, got in a good three and a half hours of doubles—finishing up with the help of special guest star, Steve—before the clouds finally gave it up and the rain finally started dropping. Actually, we played the last two games in the rain, and it turned out to be a fine way to finish the day, as high tide had happened at about 10am and by 3pm the water was very far away and probably not all that warm.

The rain *was* a bit rough on our stuff. I've got my volleyball net system airing/drying out by the front door, and just got done with a load of laundry that was probably one third sand and rain water by weight when it went in. After laundering and changing into comfy clothes, sad to say, I'm WAY unmotivated to catch up w the Zombie March going on in Boston tonight. I was not at all ready to re-animate myself, but was thinking of following along from downtown into Cambridge and snapping some photos, and probably-maybe running into people like Jeff or Russ or maybe some familiar Brattleheads. Maybe stand alongside the route and hand out some cups of refreshing brain juice for the dead-tired shamblers. Brattleheads cuz Zombie Pride leads into the second night of the Brattle's Zombie inFESTation.

I went and caught Lucio Fulci's ZOMBIE last night with Rowan (what a trooper!) at the Brattle after catching CLERKS 2 together with Joe. A helluva a movie night, I gotta say! Big on human-animal relations, with C2 showing (or at least, describing =) not-your-typical example of ass-to-mouth, and ZOMBIE featuring a pretty impressive and outrageous encounter between zombie and shark (and topless scuba diver)! Just like on the Discovery Channel!

That's right, I said "not-your-typical" ass-to-mouth... As opposed to your typical. You've really gotta see the movie to understand, and hopefully before anyone ruins it for you. =)

I DO think the C2 trailers and ads give away a little bit much. If you haven't seen CLERKS 2 yet, I strongly recommend you not look for trailers online and tivo/ffwd past any ads during your favorite shows.

In general, I really do despise the way trailers give up the goods these days. Bleah.

I'd like to rally and put together a full-on CLERKS 2 review, but I'm just not feeling it now, and probably can't get into it without dropping a sorta-spoiler here and there. Bottom line - if you've enjoyed your previous visits to Kevin Smith's Askewniverse, you will LOVE this movie =) Sure, you've gotta *know* the movie will be chock full of easy, dirty, offensive, crass, politically incorrect laughs, set up by performances that are NOT gonna make ANYone's Oscar list, and perhaps cares more about STAR WARS than you ever will, but, y'know, I think you might be surprised by its big old heart. It's a damn good buddy picture.

Don't you WANT to see the movie that prompted Joel Siegel to abort a press screening 40 minutes in, announcing to his movie critic colleagues as he leaves his seat - "Time to go!'' and "This is the first movie I've walked out of in 30 fucking years!''

THAT's gotta be the best review for any movie I've heard in years!

Rosario Dawson doesn't hurt any, either. =)

And Jay gettin his SILENCE on to that Q. Lazarus song... frickin GENIUS! =)

Alas, dunno WHEN I'll hunker down and write something like a real review... I've had one for SUPERMAN RETURNS percolating for weeks as a saved draft here...

The short version: go see it! It mucks a bit with the Superman mythology, but plugs into and plays with the earlier Christopher Reeve flicks in some pretty interesting and satisfying ways. A great jump-start of a next series.

Wishful thinking: Routh's Kent and Bale's Wayne team up in a crossover sequel in six years or so, scripted by Kevin Smith and Frank Miller. =)

Keep on keepin on~

1 comment:

zorknapp said...

I note that you say that Clerks 2 cares more about Star Wars than "you" ever will. It's clear to me that you can't include yourself in that statement. ;)