Friday, December 29, 2006

sponsor my Brattle movie madness!

Hey, Brother---

I'm participating in the Brattle Theater Movie Watch-A-Thon this January 12 thru February 18.  This 'thon is like other 'thons you're probably familiar with in that it's a fundraising event, but instead of covering miles of asphalt, I'll be screening miles of film.  I'll be watching as many movies on the big screen as possible in that time, and with your sponsorship or donation, helping to raise funds for the Brattle Film Foundation.  Will you sponsor me by making a pledge per movie watched (beware, that might cost more than you first think—I'm happy to "cap" your pledge, tho =) or make a one-time donation of support, easily done online with a credit card here...?

From THE GOONIES to THREE NEEDLES to EVIL DEAD 2 to SERENITY to BICYCLE THIEF to DARKON—these deserving films will go homeless in Boston without the Brattle.  Thanks for any support you can offer to help keep the Brattle's screen lit up with the best in classic, contemporary, documentary, foreign, and cult film, and me off the streets. =)

Keep on keepin on~
______________________________
and now, the rambling 1am cut...
______________________________

Greetings, you [handsome devil / lovely minx]!

I'm writing to appeal to your celebrated generosity and ask that you sponsor me in the Brattle Movie Watch-A-Thon this year.  The challenge is to watch as many films on the big screen as I can from January 12 thru February 18, all to raise money for the Brattle Film Foundation. If you're game for supporting me, you can pledge a certain amount per film watched (I should warn you that I soaked in 23 movies in as many days in last year's 'thon =), or make a one-time donation to support my movie madness thru my firstgiving fundraising page!

I highly recommend you contribute some of your hard-earned quatloos to help preserve this kickass moviehouse.  And when word travels that you choose to support this local artistic venue—also one of the last independently owned businesses in Harvard Square—it might raise your already stratospheric esteem just the slightest, but what it can really do, what with you being the trendsetter that you are (oh, I know you'll deny it, but that doesn't make it any less true!), you're likely to ignite a veritable wildfire fashion of charitable Brattle giving!  You just try to prove me wrong on that!

Really, try!  Try a lot! =)

And more importantly, if you act now, you can count your donation as a deductible on your 2006 taxes!

=)

So, what's up with the Brattle, you ask?  Well, I'll throw the official jibbajabba at you first, from the Brattle website (http://www.brattlefilm.org)...

Since The Brattle Film Foundation first announced the Preserve the Brattle Legacy Campaign in late 2005 we have raised more than $312,000. In our initial announcement we said that significant community support was going to be vital to the continuation of the Brattle as a repertory cinema, and due to the success of the campaign so far it is clear that the community values the Brattle and what it stands for. What we have seen over the past year is extremely encouraging, but the fight isn't over yet! Our final goal - one that will stabilize the Brattle for years to come - is to raise $500,000 by the end of 2006. (Nov 21, 2006)

More about the Foundation and fundraising campaign can be found here...

The Brattle Theater, with its excellent, discriminating (in the good way =), and eccentric programming, really is Boston's unofficial film school.  It's one of the only venues in town where you can experience many classic, foreign, cult, and just plain magnificent films on the big screen.

*with* freshly popped popcorn, topped with real melted butter!

It also happens to be the place where I first really got to know Humphrey Bogart, William Holden, Rita Hayworth, Jimmy Stewart, Marilyn Monroe, Orson Welles, Buster Keaton, Jet Li, Jackie Chan, Michelle Yeoh, and Chow Yun Fat, in the films of John Huston, Alfred Hitchcock, Billy Wilder, David Lynch, John Woo, Wong Kar Wai, and Chan Wook Park.  It's where I also got reacquainted with friends like Kermit and Fozzie, Monty Python, Bruce Campbell, and Bugs Bunny, in the works of Jim Henson, Terry Gilliam, Sam Raimi, and Chuck Jones.  And it's where I always go to be consistently awed and entertained by the best of film's past (CASABLANCA and RULES OF THE GAME *now playing!*), present (INFERNAL AFFAIRS and DARKON), and future (SEVERANCE and INLAND EMPIRE *now playing!*).

Contact me if you'd like to make a pledge-per-movie for the 'thon.  To make a one-time donation, check out my firstgiving page.  If you allow me to see your email address via firstgiving, I can contact you with updates on my movie madness once the Watch-A-Thon period begins. Whenever possible, I'll put together reviews of the films I'm consuming.  Perhaps some of them won't be necessary, tho, as you'll be at the Brattle with me... Whaddyasay? =)

Please pass along this email or the firstgiving link to anyone who might be interested in helping out the Brattle, and thank you for any bit of support you can give!

Keep on keepin on~

No comments: