Thursday, September 14, 2006

FREE emotional content! - Kung Fu flicks & kicks by the Chinatown gate!

Free martial arts and Chinese language films screened under the stars in Chinatown! Check out Chinatown's "Films At The Gate" series tonight thru Sunday night (started last night, but I spaced on it : P). Also, on Saturday, a live performance/program from the Bow Sim Mark school, followed by a "mystery movie" starring the school's master's son, Donnie Yen (of HERO, IRON MONKEY, and LEGEND OF WOLF)!

Alas, with my workload and weekend plans, I'm probably not going to make a screening until Sunday night, but I can't complain about "only" being able to see ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA 2! =) It's got a brilliant Jet Li vs. Donnie Yen duel. I saw this for the first time back in college at the MFA as part of a new east Asian film series and it was a revelation. As with HARDBOILED at the Brattle, I felt the axis of the planet tilt as my mind soaked in non-Hollywood/HK film greatness.

I highly recommend the entire ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA series with Jet Li (and even the one without him), as well as his FONG SAI YUK films. They are charming and kinetic joy.

Many thanks to Eric B. for giving me the headzup on this series!

Keep on keepin on~

2 comments:

zorknapp said...

I do miss those Chow Yun Fat movies at the Brattle... But, I can bask in watching my Criterion version of Hard Boiled at any time...

cabinboy said...

I *did* make it back to town in time to get to the last screening, but I had a chunk of work to button up before I could allow myself any playtime, so, I didn't catch any ONCE UPON A TIME action. Foo.

Did anyone hit any of the films? Have any comments, stories, or news to post about the experience? Would dig hearing that a regular Chinese/HK movie option might be established in Boston Chinatown.