Monday, January 16, 2006

did you say MFK...?

A thoughtful Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of rest and/or service to all y'all.

Or perhaps, y'both, is more accurate...?

=)

I hope everyone recorded or watched "The Return of the King" last night on BOONDOCKS? If not, I invite you (those of you whom I know, not that I expect a lot of strangers are stumbling over this particular bit of digital tumbleweed blowing across the internet wasteland) over to watch at my place this evening. I've got it recorded and saved, but unwatched. Hit me w an email if you're into it. =)

Walking from Boston Beerworks to the Fenway theater Friday night to catch GLORY ROAD, Sara and Glen leading, Steve and I following, Steve mentioned MLK Day being a holiday, and a Monday without volleyball, and joked about getting people together for a party for it, and Sara looked back and asked, "An MFK party?" And that cracked the other guys up a little bit. They started throwing some familiar names back and forth and saying, "Glen gave me another one I couldn't answer, what was it again?" and "Oh, I'd definitely kill her, doesn't matter who else is there..." and "Of course, I'd marry YOU!" All accompanied by knowing glances and chuckles.

After a couple minutes of this, I figured out that MFK is a sort of reversal of an ages-old slumber-party type fortune telling game... or so Sassy magazine once told me...

Just the one issue...

It was FREE!

Well, y'know, it was bagged with another magazine that I did actually buy... What was I gonna do, throw it away?!

What magazine did I buy? Ummm... errr... I don't really remember...

What? Can't I not remember? Oh, okay, fine! Sassy was was free with my copy of... Dirt...
Fine. You happy now? Yeah, I was the guy who bought that magazine.
Once.
At least.
And yeah, it came with a copy of Sassy...
Once.
At least.
Nyeah.
I forget who the Cute Band Alert was that issue... But y'know, let me just look that--Oh hey, what am I thinking, I certainly didn't KEEP it!

Cuz that would be weird...

=)

Anyhow...
Instead of flipping over your cards or fondling your palm and then telling you who you will marry, boink, and how many kids you'll have in your giant mansion, castle, or box by the side of the turnpike, your friend gives you three names, and you hafta decide who you could stand to marry (but not necessarily mambo), who you could manage to frack (just once), and who you would kill - MFK.

Hey, I did say "sort of reversal." I dunno... It's just that that sort of slumber party fortune telling thang just popped into my head when I realized what everyone was talking about. Y'know... just before the lingerie-clad tickle fights...

Keep on keepin on~

p.s. I made multiple attempts at massive and then not-so-massive file copies from my laptop to the LaCie drive and they all quit part way through. I'm gonna try it at the office on a Mac with a more recent OS X and hope that that manages the copy process better. I miss my Titanium.

4 comments:

df said...

just fer you

http://mcpeepants.com/
sounds/034broodwich/
broodwich5.mp3

(had to break up the link coz it previews funny)

cabinboy said...

Love me some ATHF! Even if it IS pointed at me =)

Jersey represent!

Is Sassy still on the stands these days? Or maybe it's been marketed up somehow? Don't suppose anyone remembers YM magazine? I think it originally usedta stand for "Young Miss."

Ummm... I'm pretty sure that's what I heard these two teenage girls... overheard them, these two teenage girls, saying, cuz y'know, teenage girls talk about magazines...

...don't they?

Yeah, of course they do. That's the ticket. Yeah...

Anyhow, over time, for whatever reason, the publisher repackaged the magazine and changed YM's "Young Miss" to "Young and Modern." Why, exactly, I do not know. Some objection from the League of Women Voters? Is the use of "miss" contraversial somehow?

I wonder if it helped the mag somehow. I think I sorta remember that they changed the meaning, or maybe the title, once more for some reason. Can't recall the specifics tho... O well...

I mean, those girls didn't seem to remember... So I don't remembed them saying...

Yeah, that's what I mean...

I don't think DIRT made it past issue 6 or so, and I think it was bimonthly. Guess boys just don't like reading about what society, or at least Madison Ave., says they should be like. Not like girls. Ain't civilization grand? =)

df said...

Around 92, I was hooked on Details, but I think my love affair died after one issue. It was an extraordinary issue, so I suppose anything published after that one would have had a tough act to follow :/

It commemorated the 10th anniversary of Blade Runner with an interview with both Ridley Scott AND William Gibson (of Neuromancer fame)! I swear it had some sketches/storyboards that Ridley (or a hired storyboard artist?) had done… stuff that were never realized in the feature film. Drool worthy spread.

THEN a couple pages later, it talked about the Chicago industrial scene and mentioned the likes of Thrill Kill Kult and Die Warsau :)

God bless Condé Nast.

cabinboy said...

Tangenting off BLADE RUNNER...

Is it Syd Mead whose concept art/storyboards were featured? He is responsible for some super-cool futurism that seems to appear in all pop cultural sectors - films, TV, book covers, graphic novels.

I'm pretty sure his business card reads:

Syd Mead | Futurist

How frickin cool is that? Just look at his name. He's probably FROM the future! =)

I have a feeling he must've worked for GM at some point doing concept cars. Maybe he helped on TRON, too?

I'm not much for magazines these days, so don't know what possible GOOD they might be doing out there, but I dislike Conde Nast for Voguing up WIRED : P