Sunday, January 15, 2006

go TEEN TITANS!

I heard the TEEN TITANS theme song on the radio yesterday. I'm not sure what station it was, but it was one of my presets, and it was definitely not NPR, so it must've been something kinda pop-rocks, like 98.5 or 104.1. Is that possible? I mean, I totally dig the song, but y'know, that's ME. I love the soundtrack to XANADU! Is this something that's getting lots of requests? The song is done by a J-pop band called Puffy Amiyumi. I don't know exactly how popular they've gotten in the states, but they've won themselves their own animated show on the Cartoon Network, which I hafta admit I've only skipped past during random moments of channel surfing. I have no clue what it's about, could be they've got special abilities and vehicles, like G-Force, could be they stumble into mysteries between gigs, or perhaps in an accidentally shanghai'd spaceship, a la Josie and the Pussycats. I really don't know...

I wonder if they have a monkey...

I DO know that the TEEN TITANS show (catch it on Cartoon Network) does kick ass - if you grew up on the Superfriends, collected (or still collect =) DC superhero comics, or think you'd dig Japanese-ish animated style applied to superheroic action, you should really give this show a try - they're doing it right! They've done a great job of re-inventing the Titans (for the show they've got Robin, Starfire, Raven, Beast Boy, and Cyborg as the core team) for a good action cartoon, and rebuilding some great mythology for the characters, telling the story of Raven's fate, as set by her demonic dimension-conquering father Trigon, setting up a pointed obsession-slash-rivalry between Robin and criminal mastermind-seeking-an-apprentice Deathstroke, and even doing an excellent job of connecting the dots for Beast Boy between life with the old-school Doom Patrol and joining the new-school Teen Titans. Pretty damn thorough, creative, and well followed-thru on. This current season, the Brotherhood of Evil, the Doom Patrol's longtime nemesis, ends up setting their sights on Beast Boy and his new team, which has expanded to include a whole generation of young heros on its roster, including the likes of Speedy, Kole, Kid Flash, Aqualad, Pantha, and Jericho.

I just saw what looked like a season finale this weekend and it was a helluva final confrontation between the Titans and the Brotherhood, a who's who of DC superhero-dom and villainy. Damn satisfying! It reminded me/resonated a bit with the JUSTICE LEAGUE UMLIMITED finale that played in the fall. I don't think JLU is played anymore, but I hope it'll come back in some form. New episodes of the TEEN TITANS have been playing on the weekends and reruns play just about every weekday. Check them out/sample a few with your DVR. It's some really good animated candy! =)

This message from nerdboy central brought to you by the letter "T" and the number "5."

Keep on keepin on~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well im one of the Teen Titans lovers too. I love the sound track and the Titans song also. Also, Puffy Ami Ymmie have gotten a little populare in the U.S.