Sunday, January 29, 2006

there's a wild Fandango mounted over the fireplace

I cut through the Fresh Pond shopping center lot yesterday and noticed that the movie theater looked closed. The theater sign was in a state of partial undress - reading only "THEATER" instead of "LOEWS THEATER" or "LOEWS FRESH POND THEATER" or whatever it usedta/supposedta read. I didn't know to check out the marquee sign in the lot when I went by, so I don't know if there were any movie titles up. The by the building was pretty much empty, tho...

When I got home, I saw in an email from Loews/Fandango that AMC had taken over Loews? Wack.

No big whup I figure, except that now I should sign up again for an AMC moviewatcher card, cuz I don't know where mine is, and we get to watch that weird animated movie film loop flying around shooting stars from its butt before the feature instead of the paper bag Fandango freaks.

Hrm, I wonder if anything changes w Rachel's discount passes...

AMC always felt a bit crisper, somehow, than Sony-Loews. I wanna say it's got something to do with, or something about, the Loews carpeting and uphostery... Can't exactly explain that, that's just how it is.

Big week for buyouts, eh? Apple absorbs Disney (I know, I know, technically, Disney bought Pixar, but, well... we'll see... =) and AMC eats Loews. Damn, guess there's NO chance of the old jingle coming back now, eh? I mean, "AMC" is too many syllables to drop in place of "Loews," right?

Still, maybe that legally opens up the option for some sharp band, maybe OGRE, finally to thrash the jingle on the B side (are there still B sides?) of their first release from their new hit album!

Keep on keepin on~

* Later that day....

I checked out fandango.com and the Fresh Pond theater is no longer listed. Yes, it was a piece-o-crap theater, but, it had some... ummm... there usedta be a... errr... every once in a while they would...

No, it just sucked.

It did play a part in making for a dozen or so weekend biathlon escapes years back, when, carless, I'd T out there w friends to hit Lanes-n-Games for some candlepin action, pinball, and then chase it with a craptacular movie experience.

Oh, y'know what, maybe there's Something Bad going on w that location. Around the corner, the TOYS R US is closing! Hrmmm... Maybe I'll swing by there later to see what Lego sets they've still got... Y'know what would round out a trip like that perfectly? A movie somewhere nearby...

O well~

6 comments:

zorknapp said...

Movies I saw at Fresh Pond with Brian:

So I Married An Axe Murderer
Alien Vs. Predator
The Ghosts Of Mars

Ach, I thought I'd be able to think of a bunch... I know there are more, but that's what came immediately to mind... It was a bit of a trashy theater, but it wasn't horrible.

As for AMC, I would have thought that Loews would have bought them, but I guess I'm not that up on the theater power struggles anymore...

cabinboy said...

Maybe I AM being a LITTLE hard on the old theater, eh, Zorky? I mean, I always knew what I was getting into when I went there, after all. Lacked the entertainment of a "how to get out of the parking lot" animated directions trailer, but ALSO had urinals creepily placed so that people outside the restroom could check out your junk in the reflection in the mirror thru the open doorway...

Or so I heard some dismayed patrons gasp.

All part of the experience, the craptacular ambience. =)

Ahhh.... THE GHOSTS OF OTHER CARPENTER MOVIES... Oh, no, wasn't it, ASSAULT ON PRECINCT MARS? Oh, my badd... it was THE GHOSTS OF SOME CAREERS, right? Whoops, MARS! You're right, it was THE GHOSTS OF MARS!

Wasn't (WES CRAVEN'S) DRACULA 2000 a shared gem as well? Say, is that the prequel to DRACULA 3000...?

Good times... Ain't we lucky we got 'em?

Anonymous said...

The Herald says that the cinema may reopen soon with different ownership.

cabinboy said...

Thanks for the headzup on the likely fate of the theater. I wished there was some mention of renovation/repartitioning, but, well, I suppose it is what it is, right?

In any case, I'll hafta keep an eye out for its return to the moviefone.com and fandango.com listings.

zorknapp said...

I know I didn't see the Dracula 2000 movie there... I don't actually think I saw it at all...

cabinboy said...

Frack. Who did I subject to DRACULA Y2K? Hrmmm... Maybe my friend Paris Jen, but I KNOW we went to see QUEEN OF THE DAMNED together there, and just figured we couldn't have hit that kind of jackpot TWICE together...

I don't remember a lot of D2000. Perhaps it's best left that way.

I saw a commercial for what looked like a SciFi Channel original movie - D3000. I don't think it had Wes Craven attached to it, tho.