Thursday, January 05, 2006

quick notes on BROKEBACK...

Tonight I rendezvoused w Rachel, Jill, and Glen for some foods and drinks at Flash's, then hit the Loews Boston Common theater for some 1960s gay rodeo action on the big screen! That's right, FUN WITH DICK AND JANE!

Heh. I kid, I kid. BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN. Stark and beautiful visuals. Scenes from a tragic forbidden love story. Still sorta processing I guess, but wanted to get down a few things (SPOILERY things, some of them!) that came up in post-movie discussion and thoughts w the gang...

I still can't remember what turn of the phrase there was in that last exchange between Ennis and Jack before leaving Brokeback that last time...

Some other bits I do sorta recall, probably more in paraphrase than quote...

Camp/sheep owner (played by Randy Quaid): "I'm not paying you to let the dogs tend the sheep while you two stem the rose..."

Ennis (Heath): "If you can't fix it, you just gotta stand it..."

Ennis (Heath) to Alma: "You don't want to have any more of my children, we can stop this right now..."
Alma (Michelle): "I'll have them if you'll support them..."
[Dig that crayzay pillow talk!]

Now I'm totally spaced on which of the two said this, but I think it was Jack (Jake) to Ennis...?

"...I wish I could quit you..."

In the end, it really doesn't matter what event or incident led to Jack's fate, sadly, it's a revelation of his character as destiny... at least, at that time and in that place... He was definitely the more daring, careless, impatient, and/or reckless of the two, as far as keeping their relationship under wraps, and more and moreso over time.

If I had to choose an incident from the encounters revealed to us in the film that directly resulted in the Jack's downfall (we were discussing this in the empty theater after the credits), I'd say that Jack Twist was done in by that last dalliance, w the husband of the "if-I-could-ever-get-a-word-in-edgewise" Ana Feris sorority girl. I think that bringing that man home to his family's farm would've been a bit much for anyone who was paying attention. I think the exchanges w the Brokeback Mt. rancher (Quaid), and then the rodeo clown at the bar, were passing incidents and encounters, and not directly connected to his ultimate fate.

Although they did seem to get a decent surprised "ooooooh" reaction from the audience. Everyone waitin for the other spur to drop, donchaknow.

Keep on keepin on~

No comments: