Wednesday, February 15, 2006

best valentine's day episode, ever...

...But y'know, you've gotta take that in the context of the other rather underwhelming episodes, which pretty much all went quagmire after puberty. Frickin frackin Greeting Card-Chocolatier-Florindustustrial Complex conspiracy of a holiday...

Issues? Who's got issues? You don't know me!

Right. Well. Moving on.


Last night, I did a singles unholiday (that would break down to unholy day, wouldn't it?) dinner in a fivesome of vball nerds at Casa de Pedro in Watertown. Sara was responsible for the motivating and mobilizing. She acknowledges the dark side of the day, but also leaves room for being pleased as punch at having something red to drink on valentine's - sangria! Which of course I heartily *groan* approve, as I'm pretty sure the name of the drink's got its roots in a word meaning blood [blAh! blAh!], right? Exsanguination... SANTA SANGRE...

To be completely honest, dressed as much as possible in traditional festive black, I left the apartment yesterday morning looking forward to catching glimpses of suckerday scenarios-to-be, mostly in the forms of watch-checking boys laden with flowers, candies, or gift bags, shifting their weight impatiently from one foot to the other, uncomfortable with the burden or feel of their sweet, smarmy, perhaps shiny and/or lacy, cargo of wub.

In the end, I only saw one such fellow, on my T ride from work out to Alewife to catch my ride to dindins...


El Casa de Pedro is Venezuelan fare, which I was totally unfamiliar with. Luckily for us, Sara had procured the company and services of SeƱor Jacky, our very own Venezuelan food interpreter. He guided us thru the appetizers to some most excellent empanadas (very good and a bit different from the ones I've had at Fanieul Hall) and yucas fritas (a sort of Venezuelan steak fry equivalent, altho suspiciously healthier tasting... to my palate, at least). He also helped me in my quest for full-on dinner, guiding me to a platter of meats from three beasts - the chicken and sausage were very good, but I hafta say the beef was my favorite - supported by some yucas, plantains, and alas, not quite enough rice for my preferred meat-to-rice ratio.

Jacky took us home with one of everything on the dessert menu. The three items, in the order of their tasty goodness - flan, bread pudding (w some kind of liqueur sauce), and the rice pudding (which Pedro seemed rather proud of, but unfortunately reminded our group of other foods that no one is ever really that enthusiastic about, i.e cottage cheese, cold outmeal, or cereal with milk that's sat for a while so that even the Cookie Crisps are soft).

Everyone concentrated on the flan and bread pudding. =)


I don't keep careful track of my valentine's days over the years, but well, that probably says it all about them, don't it? This one was quite fun and chill and cozy. Not a bad day.

And I'm saying that after waiting to be seated + ordering and eating + inventing the word "terticle" (pronounced "turdickal," meaning, a third testicle) + ("Brokeback" as a jokey reference x 100) + accents with accents + the rest of the stuff that I don't remember what it is... caused us to run long at Pedro's and bail on our loosely planned post-dinner movie outing!

I hope everyone's Black Tuesday was unsucky (gotta aim high, right? =), and, well, if it turned out to be not-so-grand... Hey! At least you weren't shot in the face by Darth Cheney, right? You've got that going for ya!

Speakin of...

"Cheney's Got A Gun"

The written words, I first saw as a headline graphic on THE DAILY SHOW, the music, emailed at me from a friend after I used "Cheney's Got A Gun" as the subject of an email out to people about the BATTLE FOR THE BRATTLE.

Enough w the writing. Must go watch LOST. =)

Keep on keepin on~

p.s. I'm not really as bitter as I write.
...
...
...
...I'm WORSE!

=)

1 comment:

df said...

so I took a visit to your valentine piece… hahahahaha! Erasure's "Sometime" is one of the songs on your loop! I knew it. YOU'RE GHEY!!!