Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Sprainankle Mountain...

It's almost 2.30am now and I'm on a second round of icing and elevating, unable to sleep. Got one of those blue gel ice packs wrapped around my ankle in an ace bandage, and my foot propped up on my desk next to my laptop here. Under the bandage, my ankle's gone a bit ostrich eggy on the outside - some real swelling, but no funky colors yet. We'll see how it looks come morning.


I'm managing to hobble about allright, no crutches necessary, thank Buddha. When I first hit the floor, it felt like a pretty serious turn. Serious enough that while icing and elevating on the sidelines, I was trying to get myself comfortable w the notion of not being able to play for a month or so... Bleah. By the end of the evening, I could feel the impression of the crossed laces of my shoe digging into my swelling foot-flesh...

Heh... that last bit reads back as kinda fetish-kinky. Should make for some interesting google-hits, eh?

Anyhow, what happened was... After going up for a block on the men's net, my right foot came down on top of the hitter's foot (he landed before me and "under"). My foot slipped outward coming off of his, twisting, and putting my weight on the out-side/out-step of my foot. I didn't hear the pop in my head, the way I have in the past with severe ankle turns, but definitely felt a wrenching. I yelled when it happened. In my head I picture a comic book "YARRRGH!" with letters filling the air behind me as I tumble to the floor...

Now - with my ankle numbed by ice so much that I'm shivering a little - It doesn't seem so bad. As Ricky said, "Yeah, you'll be back in two weeks! That's how these things work, right?"

Of course, the prospect of being volleyball-less for any time is none too pleasant. To give you an idea of just how awful a frame of mind that puts me in, I thought I'd again share with you this expressive little gem of the internetz, forwarded to me by a friend many moons ago... (It's the 'bago man - you might've clicked him out already from my Black Tuesday entry =)

If you've got speakers on in an environment that wouldn't approve of some... harsh, up-the-fern, language, you'll want to knock the volume down a bit, or don some headphones.

Watched it? Yeah, that's about how I feel.

Of course, that feeling alternates with crushing George-Michael-dumped-by-his-Christian-girlfriend-Ann-Veal sadness, conjured in ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT with the help of "Christmas Time Is Here," music from A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS.

Let the healing begin!~

Keep on keepin on~

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the movie, and I know just how you feel. I hope your ankle heals up soon!!

df said...

When I first read the opening line, "It's almost 2.30am now and I'm on a second round of icing and elevating, unable to sleep", I shit you not, I thought you were talking about cake icing and not regular ice-icing.

I mean, 2 in the morning and eating chocolate cake icing is not entirely unrealistic, right? Right? It sounds pretty darn good right now, actually.

cabinboy said...

I think YOUR icing, cake icing, would be more likely to be considered "regular" ice-icing, so I can't fault you for thinking of that first.

And... I admit, given what you know of me and my diet, if you can call it that, guessing that I'd be killing a can or tube of icing at 2 in the morning is NOT all that farfetch'd...

=)

zorknapp said...

I think that a robotic ankle is in your future...