Saturday, February 25, 2006

Forever Young...?

Hokey smokes! Someone's COVERED Alphaville's "Forever Young?!" Who the F did this? It's one of my favorite songs from way back in my John Hughesian suburban teen years. It was absorbed into my bloodstream over a few summers at nerd camp, along with buckets in the vein of Erasure, New Order, and Depeche Mode. Quality, I'm tellin ya.

"Forever Young" is simply a perfect storm of teen angst, pseudo-political non-meaning, and synthy-Euro-accented-cheezypop. I always thought of it as a perfect prom song, even tho I always thought right after I thought that that you can't REALLY dance to it (I will say I've heard several decent remixes). I hafta say, tho, that NAPOLEON DYNAMITE proved me wrong.

"I like your sleeves. They're real big..."

I was super-pleased that it was NAP D. that did it. Yet another check in the coolness column for that movie for me. SEE IT! =)

I only ramble now about my shock and surprise at a cover of the song because I JUST caught it as the song that plays over the let's-wrap-it-all-up end montage of an early fall 2005 episode of THE OC. The one where Summer spots Social Chair bitch making out with the Dean of Discipline. What kind of F'd up S&M super vigilante title is that, eh?

No doubt another lightning rod for fun google hits for my blog. =)

The song starts playing when for lack of a better bit of dialogue to close the episode and segue into the music, Marissa tells Ryan, "Okay, I'll make you a deal... Whatever song comes on the radio next will be our song, OK?"

I'd want that to be my "our song" too. The cover's not bad... It seems like a bit of a put-on, tho, like maybe a punk band trying it out... Still, it annoys me, cuz I'm sure Alphaville could use the exposure. Would the original just not really fly? McG just made the call that it HAD to be a cover? I have no idea who did it, but maybe they'll do a "Tonight you heard music from..." over the end credits...

A byte of pop cultural cross referencing I can't switch off... Dean of Discipline Hess is played by the guy who turns into the monster cyborg killer with a heart in the RESIDENT EVIL movies, opposite the deadly lovely Milla J.

Ah, frack. All I got recorded w the credits is an ad for "The fall's most original series - REUNION!" Yeah, where'd THAT go?

Oh, wait, I was wrong there IS an extra bit - they play the "Forever Young" cover while pushing the Music From The OC volume 5 album. No credit for the artist. Nuts.

I'm a bit cabin feverish... After three OCs, I may hafta switch over to some ARRESTED, or maybe BSG, to mix it up.

Keep on keepin on~

1 comment:

zorknapp said...

It pains me to see Fox's new shows that they're brining out to replace their cancelled shows. If any of them lasts for more than 6 episodes, I'll eat a hat. A tasty, cake hat. They get rid of Arrested Development (analrapist indeed!) and bring on this trash...

Ah, life is hard... Rest up that ankle!