Sunday, April 30, 2006

animated United Rhapsody commercials...

I've recently caught two gorgeous animated commercials for United Airlines. I know they're just ads, but I have to say, they've gone and done them right, found animators, and storytellers, worthy of accompanying Gershwin greatness. More animated shorts than commercials, I turned off my replayTV's "commercial advance" feature to watch them when I caught a few seconds of their visual goodness before the skip jumped past them.

After clickin around online, I found United's home for these commercials, but it seems that the two I just saw and dig so much aren't (yet?) included. (The ones that ARE featured online by United are definitely worth a look, tho.)


One of them (which first aired during the Superbowl I've found out - boy, how late am I on THIS, right? yeah, well, I'm not a huge hockey fan, y'know?) is a paper-cutout/puppet style animated story about a father leaving for a trip, and his son's dream of the father's journey. In the dream he's transformed into a businessman-knight, who joins forces with his round table brothers to battle a dragon in the forest. The style is just gorgeous.

The other is what looks like color pencil sketches w watercolor animated story about a woman's efforts to make her ideas known to a committee of clients or superiors, each portrayed as an animal in business wear. She travels to meet them face-to-snout, muzzle, and beak, and swings them over to her point-of-view. On her return trip, a mysterious stranger takes the seat next to her...

It really is surprisingly good less-than-a-minute crack. Try not to skip or leave the room if you catch a frame or three of animation or a couple bars of piano riffing on "Rhapsody In Blue" once the 24 clock winks out, or LOST or VERONICA MARS pops to black.

Keep on keepin on~

1 comment:

df said...

Yeah, they do it right. I love the knight-dragon one; it's definitely their best one. I remember the one with the guy and his two different colored socks and the woman with the idea (in the form of a floating lightbulb) that she was trying to sell.

I have a soft spot for "Rhapsody in Blue"; I got an old vinyl copy from my parents and I used to bust it out on the turntable every once in a while :)