Wednesday, April 05, 2006

appleXP...?

Run Windows (if you have to) on the new Macs!

Not one of the many boot hacks which appleHeads have been creating on their own since the CoreDuo Macs were announced and released into the wild, but a real and true Apple-blessed product.

WAck!

Apple's Boot Camp is supposed to come with a very comprehensive load of Windows compatible drivers for Apple's hardware. Can you imagine turning a Mac Mini into your gaming machine? How frickin sleek and cool is that?

The one thing it doesn't have is a magic wand to turn Apple's one-button mousepad into a two (or more) button one. O well~

Gotta fess up - I've been lovin my new MacBook Pro for three weeks now. Not doing anything all that challenging, creative, or spectacular with it... mostly taking it to and from the office to get work done, nevertheless, just loving HAVING it. =)

It was delivered to Rowan's office (couldn't be sure it would be safely handled if delivered to our building while we weren't home) four weeks ago. I told him to keep it at his office for a week, lest it totally distract me from a crunch week of work at the office. I was ready to tell him to hold it hostage another week when my friend Jessie berated me for such foolishness.

So, three Mondays ago, I quietly booted up the new book for the first time. Sweet. I couldn't successfully auto-transfer all my media (pics, movies, and music) and settings from my old Titanium during set-up (the new Mac didn't recognize the old as having a compatible OSX installed - I did only have up to 10.2.x on it, foo), but since have managed to move them "manually" just fine. The new iPhoto and iTunes found and assimilated my old directories without a problem, and boy howdy am I pleased with how zippy iPhoto is with my many thousands of photos!

I have no games to play. I have no 3d modelling or animation software that will run on this yet. Alas, I have no windowsXP to run using the Boot Camp I don't have to play all the PC first-person-shooters I haven't bought...

Yet.

=)

Still, I'm very happy to have a kickass mac on my side again. My old Titanium hasn't been mothballed yet, as I'm in the process of sifting thru and transferring files piecemeal when I set aside the time. Jeff suggested that I hunt down an identical Titanium on eBay to buy for a replacement case. All the internal components seem to function properly in mine, but imperfections in the damaged case lead to some kind of connection and/or contact failures between them.

I'm trying to keep spending down for a while, in light of the recent trunks of quatloos I dropped on the new Mac, some Serious repairs on my Saturn, and the imminent home purchase, so it may be a while before I find a suitable donor...

When I feel like I can spend a bit on it again, I'm definitely gonna take steps to get the Titanium back into stable travelling form. That little droid and I have been through a lot together.

Thanks to Joe and Jeff for all the Apple sauce.

Keep on keepin on~

No comments: