Friday, June 09, 2006

a summer RENTal...

Observation. I'm seeing more and more of my soda can tops with schmootz in the little metal-pressed rim, y'know? Ick.


Went to see RENT at the Schubert Theater in Boston tonight. I'd never seen it before, but thought I'd heard most of its music here and there. Turns out the only song I really knew was "Seasons of Love," which the movie trailer nearly killed for me. The live performance of it tonight saved it.


Very enjoyable, and maybe a little extra poignant in my mind, given recent media/news buzz regarding "AIDS at 25." My favorite lingering bits of the show are "Viva La Vie Boheme" (or however that's spelled), the twisty subplot involving the contract on the dog, "Tango Maureen," Roger's song about his song, "I'll Cover You," both times, and the multimedia/film finale. Oh, also, the lyrical fun in "America At The End Of The Millenium" - I think it's "I don't own emotions, I rent" - I really enjoy. Oh, also also, Maureen's overly performance-artsy performance piece which has gotta be entitled something like "Cow... Over The Moon" was much appreciated.

I love how, within performances, actors portray acting, and artists radiate... umm... arting. How to explain it...? It's like... the second derivative of the craft. Like doing the impression of something, y'know? It FEELS like when I experience MONTY PYTHONers doing American accents, y'know? You can hear what they hear in what we'd consider accentless speech... "Schopenhauer has an 'S' in it."

I think it's something of a loss that the Cow Parade route doesn't go by the Schubert Theater.

A bit of fun fun crazy talk that hit me during the second half - I would LOVE to see the cast of BSG do "Seasons of Love" as the opener to next season's premiere. Or maybe included as a dream sequence inserted in the black of Balthar's bowed head during the one year flash forward. How crazy perfect would that be? C'mon. Can't you just see the cast of that show being born to dance?

Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes... (centons? =)
How do you measure, measure a year?~

=)

Glen got the Tuesday 24 crew together for RENT tonight in honor of Miss Rachel's birthday, which actually came earlier this week. I cobbled together a little digital silliness as a present for her. You might be able to figure out her birthday from the gifty...

Heh.

Keep on keepin on~

No comments: