Wednesday, June 14, 2006

THANK YOU FOR SUPER-SIZING...?

Coming this fall...


FAST FOOD NATION, a movie that tells a story built around the facts presented in Eric Schlosser's book of the same name, an excellent read (now with a companion book for young readers). I remember enjoying knocking off a chapter or so while putting away a super-size number one a couple years back... I'm perverse like that.

=)

Tracing the birth and growth of the fast food industry really does give you a surprisingly comprehensive cross section of modern American business, politics and regulation, technologies, lives, and culture. A narrative built around this should be pretty interesting, but a documentary would probably be stronger...

Then again, how much cooperation would any documentary film get from any of the parties involved, right?

I really like most of what I've seen by Linklater (SLACKER, DAZED AND CONFUSED, and BEFORE SUNRISE, in spite of ratboy Hawke), so there should be some good crack in here. Guess he's been pretty busy - A SCANNER DARKLY should be out soon. Although I did NOT love WAKING LIFE, I think that the use of animation effects in SCANNER will be more in line w the storytelling, and not so much about pushing or proving a style and technology.

That's how I took most of WAKING LIFE, a choice of topic, or non-topic, that gave the film license to play with some techniques. I might retroactively give it more points if I think of it as proof of concept for SCANNER...

=)

And a bunch of earthlink ads... :P

Y'know, like RADIOLAND MURDERS was for all the STAR WARS prequels, and PLUTO NASH was for some-movie-but-I'm-not-knowing-which... Cuz I don't know how else to justify that one.

... Which I saw in the theater...

Keep on McKeepin on~

No comments: