Monday, June 12, 2006

umbrella ad/d...

Snapped this on my commute this weekend...


Nothing all that remarkable about the scene, right? Sometimes I'll get the camera out for some bit of oddness on the street, graffiti, fiberglass livestock... But really, there's nothing all that Zazz about this, right? Why shoot it?

Cuz of the only legible thing in the frame (well, besides the giant "7"). "Eddie Bauer" in the top left corner. I was walking along, umbrella'd (I've recently given in to umbrellas after a decade or so boycott), and just alluvasudden noticed how the Bauer tag/strap is always "in frame" and, except for pauses at corners, in motion.

Frickin frackin advertising. Maybe it's ad-serendipitous, sure, umbrellas have been around for, what, at least 20 years, now?

Heh.

And that's definitely a smart place to put your logo. It wraps around the umbrella when it's closed. Looks sharp hanging on the rack in the store, no doubt.

And maybe there's, like, some very sensible factory production line reason that the strap should be sewn on at just that panel of the umbrella skin, too. Sure.

And hey, if it's bothering me, having the "Eddie Bauer" screensaver burned into my retinal CRTs, I should just turn the umbrella, right? Let the poor sap who's following me get branded by the swinging tag. He won't know exactly why his next umbrella, or beach chair, or rain slicker, just HAD to be picked up at the Bauer outlet...

But, hey, look at the umbrella handle! So nicely grooved for the fit of my hand, but only on the one side so that when I'm using the umbrella, and not playing THAT'S INCREDIBLE Yogi-in-a-box, it has to be held so that the tag hangs down in front of me!

Bastards!

It IS a really good umbrella, tho.

=)

Keep on keepin on~

p.s. It's got that vent thing going on, y'know? So that it blocks the rain, but to a degree will let wind pass thru? To a degree - last week it did go all hyperextendy in a severe wind tunnel. But, y'know, nothing snapped and it's still all umbrella! And I got it on sale at the Bauer outlet at downtown crossing.

p.p.s. Media-soaking sponge that I am, I hafta admit that on another level, I thought, hey, this is an ad concept right here, isn't it? Y'know, cosmopolitan city-in-the-rain scene/s, delivery whatnot, pedestrian splash, ticketing cop, framed by the umbrella edge and the tag, with something like - "Eddie Bauer - also for the not-so-great outdoors." Or some blah-de-blah about the (urban) wilderness... or whatever...

1 comment:

zorknapp said...

My umbrella has a duck's head on the handle, and I always make a point, if I run into someone when I'm just carrying it when it's not raining, to hold the umbrella so the duck's head is looking at the person I'm talking to. I don't know if they notice it, but I enjoy it...