Monday, June 12, 2006

weekend weak end

You can work for yourself, but if you've got clients, and you're hungry, and you're not, like, in the top 100 of your field, able to rule your clients by ego and reputation, then you're not necessarily your own boss...

I ended up missing two birthday windings - well, technically, it was one wingding and one shindig - this weekend cuz I was putting in day and night hours at the office. I managed to clear some room earlier in the week to make RENT, but this week there were only so many hours to shuffle around. Nuts.

HbB to JP and RA~

Two weekends earlier, I missed connecting w my college roommate, Ross. He was in town from Maine to play a gig in Allston w his band, OGRE. It was short notice, but I told him I could work it out. He was gonna be rockin on Friday night, and the work I was busy on was to be buttoned up by the end of the day.

Just thinking of making plans probably jinxed me. I had to stay late as Joe and I hammered out some revisions/fixes to the project on the phone w the client. I did take a time-out after the call, but only to get some quick dinner-like eats to fuel the rest of my night at the office.

Fracktacular.

Can I lament my priorities?

What with the need to $urvive and all, work comes first in almost every situation. Of course, on a good summer weekend in New England, a beach volleyball day CAN trump work. Didn't hafta face that particular dilemma this time around.

Socializing, spending time with human beings, enjoying the company of my friends... that typically comes in after work...
...
... Okay, okay. The socializing thing will sometimes come in after those beach volleyball days, too. But, c'mon, you've gotta understand - a beach day in New England! Those are precious!

Okay, maybe my priorities ARE screwed up.

Bleah.

I remember telling Kristen sometime last year before she left Bostonia - I didn't get to spend all that much quality time with her, in the grand scheme of things, but when we talked, we really did talk - And in coming up with and uttering the words, I actually formed the thought for the first time, y'know? Figured out the fundamental of it... The words went something like...

I *know* it's naive and unrealistic, but part of me believes that the people I like will always be around. That there's always time.

Maybe that's my rule of social alchemy...

Not the best guiding principle if you want to Make Things Happen...

Some snapshots from my late night commutes home from work...

Red light in the rain...


Some girls go wild for the Cow Parade...


Hey, they're mooltiplyin! They're mooltiplyin!


Keep on keepin on~

3 comments:

zorknapp said...

Well, if nothing else, you can't get me out of your life, no matter how hard you try. ;)

cabinboy said...

Thanks, Jenn, for the wise words. Rationally, I understand that good things do come to their ends... I have trouble/denial(laziness? bleah) processing and acting on it.

Balance... How does one hour of ARRESTED, LOST, or good CARTOON NETWORK for every four hours of work sound...? That's a kind of balance, no?

Good hunting on cow safari this weekend! =)

cabinboy said...

Thanks, Zork, for the threat!

You're like a dismembered hand gone bad!

Heh, I kid. I kid! I thank Xena and Hercules that I can't get rid of you, man.