Saturday, May 06, 2006

a voice on the T...

I'm a little fuzzy now if it was this morning (Friday) or Thursday morning that this happened...

On the red line from Central to Park Street, the train was leaving Kendall Square station. Over the P.A. the driver's (I assume) voice comes on: "GET A REAL JOB!"

I looked up from my bookybook - THE EYRE AFFAIR (A Tuesday Next Mystery) - and quickly around. It was a crowded car, passengers standing, seats pretty much all full. I only noticed two other people who reacted to the... umm... order? Both seated on the opposite side of the car from me. One was a flight attendant, 30-something, blond hair magically still knotted up after some making-up on the T, uniformed and travel bag at the ready. The other was an older fellow, bearded and balding... Kind of... professor-looking. The woman looked a bit shocked. The man did a kind of Spock eyebrow thing, raised angled eyebrow, y'know? I was sort of half-laughing and we saw each other and he smiled and shook it off.

Random.

I did just (finally) get my hair cut last week, so, what else could I do? I quit my job.

Heh. No, not really. Not that I wouldn't like to, cuz anyone who's met him will agree, my boss is a jerk, but honestly, he can't get anything done without me. I can't just up and disappear.

Umm... Of course I don't mean Joe... The other guy, HE's the jerk.

Heh.

I wonder what that was about. Was it directed at a co-worker on the platform at Kendall? To a friend who'd just gotten on or off the train? The result of an unfortunate accidental pressing of a button during an exchange over a walkie, or during a spontaneous bit of self flagellation?

And, regardless of the reasons behind or origin of the amplified remark, will anyone in earshot of the command go out and change their life as a result? Will some Glen or Glenda who makes good in a big way a year down the line relate a story to Leno or Oprah or Jesus and Friends about how, when he was at the lowest point in his career, in his life even, and was considering throwing himself onto the rails of the Boston MTA, a voice spoke to him, and told him to...

GET A REAL JOB!

...and it turned his life around...?

Keep on keepin on~

Oh. I texted and saved the car number for myself. Not that it will probably ever matter, but I do these things sometimes. Sorry, no LOST connection - 01865.

No comments: