Sunday, August 06, 2006

beach days, 2 for 2 =)

A second day of beach volleyball goodness! We were only supposed to have 4 players for the day (myself and three volleyball playing lasses - just like in the dream...~ =), but a couple of regulars made unannounced cameo appearances and we had 6 of us keeping CR doubles going all day from 11am to almost 4pm. The inconvenient truth let up just enough this weekend to give us two grand days at the beach, and I'm glad that we got to take advantage of them.



I hafta admit, every other time I consider my Nahant weekends, I get the feeling I'm in a kind of rut, y'know? Committed to doing the same thing every Saturday and Sunday all summer. Still, with a weekend like this one, well, everyone should be so lucky as to fall into such a rut.

Alas, I did hafta sacrifice my midnight opportunities for STREETS OF FIRE goodness at the Brattle. I figured couldn't handle a midnight flick the night before a beach trip. I'm the vball junkie who's got the community works, y'know? I try to get myself to Nahant by 10am to get a decent parking spot and stake a decent 30x60 claim to get a court set up.

I'm very happily exhausted right now. Ready to just melt into my pillows in air conditioned comfort. But I'm planning on shaking that off so that I can hit HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE at the Brattle tonight. It's a Miyazaki anime flick that I missed last year when released in the states, and the Brattle's got it and SPIRITED AWAY going on for a couple days, in dubbed and original Japanese with subtitles. I highly recommend everyone check them out. Miyazaki's stuff (PRINCESS MONONOKE, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, GRAVEYARD OF THE FIREFLIES) is haunting, whimsical, surreal, gorgeous... animated fables and mythology. I'm going to see the subtitled version of CASTLE tonight.

Mmm... large popcorn, large lemonade, and some fantastic anime. Should be a good cap to a grand day.

Keep on keepin on~

1 comment:

zorknapp said...

Sometimes I feel bad that anime's never really done much for me. I always hear of films that are recommended to me, but it's a form I just haven't made the time for.

Ah well...