Wednesday, August 02, 2006

STREETS OF FIRE

And HEY! *TONIGHT* at the BRATTLE - THE GOONIES!

THE GOONIES plug above originally appeared at the bottom of this entry, but post-ramble, I figured I should lead with the most important/time-sensitive info. And now, back to the beginning...
----------------------
Heh, that title works on a couple levels today...

Man, it is stoopid-hot and sticky. Weather.com has got both a "Severe Thunderstorm Watch" AND an "Excessive Heat Warning" up as severe weather alerts for Cambridge. D-lovely, no? I hope that thunderstorm happens (even tho the alert is up, the forecast for the next couple days gives only 20% and 30% chance of precipitation - WTF?). It should be a great release/relief. After the Friday night deluge last week (a brilliant lightning show, too), we had a couple of those crisp (not crispY) summer days that I really dig. The sun is out, it can be Hot, even, but the air is not thick and molesting you with every breath you take, y'know?

I'm supposed to play volleyball today. After work, around 6pm. That... is gonna Hurt... But, what with the days gettin shorter and all (bleah), maybe it'll be a little less hellacious by then.

Maybe...

A little...

I thought back to an idea that Steve suggested back in the crummy prologue to summer this year. That we should agree on a temperature that would justify a senior cut day, y'know? A day when we just call each other, get the day off, and go hit the beach to play some vball.

Alas, we never mobilized on that. But I do like the idea. I was thinking that today would be a good day to escape the cobblestoned jungle for beach and ocean, but odds are, most of the day would not be all that kind to volleyball playing. The forecast highs in the area are over 100 degrees for today. Wheeee~

Well, this week of ugly hot followed by potential torrents ought to make for a good weekend for beaching. I sent out a roundup email earlier this morning and hope to get a decent crew for both days. Despite my plans to hit the midnight STREETS OF FIRE at the Brattle on Friday and/or Saturday night, I'll aim to have the net up by 10.30am either day.

That's right, STREETS OF FIRE! The 80s scifi rock opera directed by Walter "THE WARRIORS" Hill and starring Michael "EDDIE AND THE CRUISERS" Pare, Willem "Green Goblin" Dafoe, and Diane "JUDGE DREDD" Lane! Also, Rick "the Keymaster" Moranis, Wild Bill "Game Over, Man" Paxton, and Ed "electric car" Begley Jr.

Alas, I've never seen this movie all the way thru. I expect it'll be like DISTRICT B13, only with musical numbers instead of parkour running and sledgehammers instead of martial arts. The fashion is probably just about the same. =)

Of course, I might not make it to both nights at the Brattle, as LITTLE DARLINGS is playing at midnght over in Brookline at the Coolidge...

Man, isn't Tatum O'Neal like crazy good fun on RESCUE ME?

And HEY! *TONIGHT* at the BRATTLE - THE GOONIES! =)

I'm gonna try and hit the last show tonight. What with vball in Watertown tonight after work, it'll be the only show I can make. Maybe I can sucker my sister and Rowan into going with. I've only ever seen it once, when I saw it in the theaters as a kid. I liked it. It was a crazy genre buster, y'know? A story that could go anywhere at any moment. And in tone could jump from Little Rascals to STAND BY ME, y'know? It had Short Round, a Corey, a Hobbit-to-be, and that freaky woman with only half a tongue from THROW MOMMA FROM THE TRAIN. And of course Cyndi Lauper's song and music video to go with!~ What's not to like? But I never quite felt the cult reverence and dedication to the film that a lot of my generation seem to have for it. Maybe I missed something?

Well, perhaps I'll find out tonight. I hope it's not sold out.

Keep on keepin on~

2 comments:

df said...

Is Streets of Fire the same movie with the hit song...

I CAN DREAM ABOUT YOOOOOO... IF I CAN'T HOLD YOU TONIGHAAAAAAT...

... which was done in real life by some brit white guy, but lip synched by a fictitious all-black member group in the movie???

cabinboy said...

Maybe...

=)