Monday, November 06, 2006

HEROES: meanwhile...

I've been watching the show on a replayTV delayed schedule, and having to watch the Friday SciFi rebroadcast, cuz the Monday night airtime conflicts with... ummm... this other show I watch...

What show? Well, y'know, what's that really good show that's on Monday nights? That one. Yeah, it's on at the same time, so I had to choose... What's that? You don't know which show I mean? errr... umm...

PRISON BREAK, allright? THERE! I said it! PRISON BREAK!

Yeah, Brett Ratner crapped on the X-MEN franchise, but he manages to cobble together some pretty entertaining televisional candy. The transitions to commercials are really crappy now compared to previous seasons'—you're seeing like cornfields and street intersections and suburban tracts instead of the pipes and tunnels and wetwalls of Fox River, not nearly as cool. Regardless, check it out if you've got some Monday nighttime to kill, preferably with some idiot who's already watching it. =)

Anyhow, HEROES!

Being a hack of a comic book type fanboy, I was a bit annoyed with the show after the first three episodes. I totally dig what the show wants to do, but felt that it was way too clunky. Having Mohinder's voice open the show just screamed UNBREAKABLE to me, too. I got over it soon enough, but, well, do you see how that's kind of annoying? The Nikki storyline w all the mirrors was probably most annoying. Well, that, and Mohinder (apparently) not getting that his dad's lady friend is a mole for Father Knows Best.

When Nikki found the other bodies in the desert, I thought one of them was DL—I think there was a shot of a ring and she seemed to recognize it—and that she had killed him. Then I thought it was DL who had the power, and someone else kiled him, and that he somehow jumped into Nikki to take revenge and hide out. Right up until I saw her "switch over" and go back and get freaky with the future Congressman "Prophet" Petrilli.

A couple episodes ago, tho, the show totally won me over. It was when Nikki was coerced by mobster Linderman into making a sex tape with the flying candidate. I swung over to committing to enjoying HEROES when Petrilli went high altitude on Father Knows Best and his telepathic bouncer and then zipped away. That was pretty kickass. =)

The skidding to a landing by the diner in the desert was pretty good, too.

I'm a little annoyed that the half DNA or RNA string keeps showing up everywhere. At first I kind of liked it, scribbled, or tattooed, but it showed up in the pool when the telepathic detective first manifests. The only way I'll be okay with that is if Hiro's been doing more time travelling to go back in time and give everyone some hints, to prep them for their team-up, give them a subconscious visual to key in on, perhaps even rally around as a team.

Maybe it's a subconscious trigger?

I really like that DL *does* have a power, which totally sets Micah up to be a young supertype, a Tinkerer or Mechanic. I also dig that he took out Nikki, because her Enchantress problem would surely be an issue with a team of do-gooders. All she could be is someone who volunteers for a suicide mission, to "hold the line" somewhere, or take someone else's bullet. That it happened in the episodes about evolution being about survival, and not good and evil, not bad.

Also, DL is just a thief, and not a killer. So he's got the potential to be a good guy. A step up from his schizo wife.

Wishful thinking that she's passed tense, I'm sure. Can't kill off the internet stripper so early in the series, right? And only half of her is chaotic. The other half is a single mom trying her darnedest to raise her kid, right? So, she'll recover from whatever DL did to her by phasing into her abdomen (kinky, no?) and then have to let her dark side take control to find him and their son.

Micah's no dummy. How much does he know about his two moms?

I *do* like seeing the show execute on the DOOM PATROLy superhuman idea of a secondary personality with its own super-abilities. In its kickass surrealist hero days, the PATROL had a superheroine with... I forget how many, but a LOT, of personalities, each with his or her own power. Genius.

The close call/not quite crossovers are all getting pretty annoying. Teases, y'know? And that Hiro's the only one who seems po-mo enough to get that they're in a comic book, and are OF comic books. I mean, Peter as much as SAYS so out loud to the painter when he's placing the paintings in order—"like a comic book!" But they just ignore it. And painter neglects to mention that he actually writes and draws 9TH WONDER...?

*sigh*

Frack. I'm talking myself into being annoyed with the show again.

The time travelling with Hiro is Good. And I love Hiro's direct references to comic books and comic book tradition. I'll allow the choice of character name. It amuses me enough.

I originally thought that Syler (is that how it's spelled? What a crappy name : P) was Father Knows Best. That he must be a newly developed "homo superior" who hooked up with Mohinder's dad early in his research and theorizing and discovered that his particular abilities could be augmented by assimilating (eating, processing, bathing in, taking) the lives of other metahumans. So, he's been using Mohinder's dad's research and map to hunt them down and cut open their heads and extract their brains.

Once I saw Father Knows Best teamed up with another meta, his telepathic enforcer, I felt like the Syler thing broke down. Syler wouldn't be working with anyone else. Or at least, no one would agree to work with Syler, knowing what he was doing. So Father has got to be something else. Maybe government. Maybe associated with some drug company that created a supplement or pain killer or something for pregnant mothers in the 60s that was taken off the shelves due to some wacked out side effects. Turns out that the children of mothers who took this whatever-it-is have a very high chance of developing zany powers. (See SCANNERS =)

And Father is tracking them down. Catalogging them? Researching? Maybe putting together a network of agents to call on for the government? Maybe policing them? I don't know. Will have to see more still. Thing is, he openly plays the menacing guy with some of hits meta-marks.

Maybe he can make duplicates of himself.

How freaking annoying is it that Peter keeps saying he can fly? He's a mimic, not a flyer. Dumbass!

*sigh*

Again with the annoying...

When I started rambling, I really did like the show.

I'm so confused.

Keep on keepin on~

4 comments:

zorknapp said...

Prison Break. Sad.

cabinboy said...

Yeah... I got nothin...

Anonymous said...

I've heard that Prison Break was better than it looked-not quite as FOX-y looking as it was on first glance, I guess.

Heroes is quickly becoming a favorite, even though I do agree it's a bit clunky and obvious in places, while being totally overly obtuse in other places. We can't figure out Horn-rimmed Glasses Guy either-does he know about the cheerleader, or not? Is he just going to walk around making sinister faces, or is he actually going to DO something at some point?

I also really DON'T like Milo Ventimiglia, which makes the character pretty hard to like. Rena Sofer is a good addition, but only if she doesn't play the dumb "I'll believe anything you say" wife-it looks like she's going in that direction, but let's hope they give her something else to do.

And I just like Hiro. How can you not?

I think that if they want to keep an audience, something actually has to HAPPEN, and relatively soon.

cabinboy said...

Something DOES have to happen soon. The near-miss/crossovers are getting more annoying than inside-jokey or powerful. Crossovers are supposed to be powerful. Even when each super-party doesn't know the other is there, it's supposed to be suspenseful, and can even bey funny. Like Buffy and Riley taking on the same baddies before they knew about each other's alter egos, y'know?

The near-misses are so annoying and outlandish, even, that I feel they demand an explanation of later that fits. That someone was psychically nudging them to encounter one another would be (barely) acceptable. Altho, frack, Mohinder picked up Peter in his cab! WTF?

The mobster might be hero-powered. Plotwise, he's a nexus of events and connections. If he's somehow the cause of the almost-team-ups, well, I'd like to know about it.

The show had better NOT be some po-mo b.s. ABOUT someone WRITING about this coming of NBC's homo superior, either outside of it all, in the "real world," or from within it.

Well, unless there's a REALLY good reason for it, bleah.

Glasses. I DO believe he knows cheerleader's special. When I believed he was Syler, I thought it was ingenious that he went and tracked down his own dessert and adopted her as his daughter. Y'know, buy the lobster small, fatten him up good with bacon and steaks, and then feast on him, even tho he's your best friend.

I think all the hero powers are in the brain. Syler may be preserving them, or lobotomizing the powered victims for just the power gland or whatever. And then somehow assimilating them, TV-"gene therapy"-ing himself to gain their abilities. Of course, put him in a room w Peter and who would win?

Bleah. I should cut myself off here and save some rambling for for my next post-HEROES jam.