Thursday, November 02, 2006

LOST: You speak to me as if I were your brother.

Well! Fina-frickin-lutely! The return of the Black Cloud!

And... those frickin second stringers. Maybe they'll be like STAR TREK's "red shirts," more disposable human shields than characters? Well, I can hope. Well, okay, just the guy. We can keep the girl, right? =)

When she was speaking up down in the Pearl (two birds, one stone), I wondered if the writers wanted to advance some of the second stringers as "voices of the fans," y'know? The show's g(r)eek chorus, bringing up questions and events that the Cool Kids have repeatedly ignored, for whatever reasons, but viewers, and people with a few hundred less issues, have *got* to be asking...

As long as they're entertaining and/or helpful, I'll suffer them.

Guy with the eye patch. WTF? Do we need another mystery person manning another mystery hatch? I'm pretty sure we don't. Looked like it could've been the setup for another EM containment hatch, eh?

And was that eyepatch dude the craggy guy from PROFILER and lately STARGATE and one of the bad guy sons from GOONIES? Eyepatch...

Echo. I'm going to miss him. Y'know, until the Island (or the Black Cloud) decides to reanimate him to communicate with other survivors.

The way that Yemmi and the Cloud tag-teamed Echo made it appear like they were one and the same. Especially when they one-two him at the end. WTF up with that? Echo "faced" the Cloud down last season and walked away. What changed?

Something that occurred to me early on in this episode... The Black Cloud was likely already on the island before Oceanic 815 (I thought maybe it was Walter's Id, and maybe it is, I'm just talkin here, another theory, y'know), but not necessarily before Echo's brother's plane. It could have been created by the small plane's crash, or delivered, somehow. Maybe it's a kind of Ju-On Curse...

Just talkin...

Something that I was hoping for before this episode... That the spinal x-rays were of Locke, not Ben. Even when Jack confronts Ben about it, I was still hoping that Ben was just playing dumb/along to not give anything up.

I would really like for there to be some internal problems regarding Ben's leadership of the others, but of course, it could all just be more of the brainwashing/breaking game...

Bastards.

So, the x-rays *could* still be Locke's, and the tumor the cause of the loss of the use of his legs in the real world... They could persuade Jack to operate, and then do a switcheroo on the patients, with the body covered by hospital sheets or whatever, with a cutout for the spinal area that needs to be worked on. Could be a test to see if Jack would actually let Ben die under the knife. Or maybe just paralyze him.

Oh, that would be FUN! =)

The politics within the Others' camp... Interesting. A distraction from real Island mysteries, of course, but interesting. It's a pretty consistent set-up, when you recall the smartass "guess I'm out of the book club" remark/non-sequitur from the premiere, followed thru with Ben treating Juliet as expendable, and Juliet pretty obviously not appreciative of being ordered around.

Ben's proof of God is nice and LOSTy...
___________________________________________________________
Ben: Do you believe in God, Jack?
Jack: Do you?
Ben: Two days after I found out I had a fatal tumor on my spine, a spinal surgeon fell out of the sky... And if that's not proof of God, I don't know what is.
___________________________________________________________
How many other wishes were fulfilled by Desmond not entering those numbers in time?
___________________________________________________________
Locke: Echo's heading for the plane that crashed on top of the entrance to the Pearl station.
Desmond: Well, that's quite a coincidence.
Locke: Don't mistake coincidence for fate...
___________________________________________________________
I would like some clarification on what Locke believes in each episode now. I've accepted that he's flipped back to being a true-believer after being All Wrong about the numbers and his hatch, but it's a bit annoying that it hasn't been addresed by himself, Charlie, Desmond, or even Echo, all of whom were present at the hatch implosion, y'know?

Maybe Wendy or Marvin will get around to asking them about it.

Does BURNING a corpse give it over to the Black Cloud's realm of control? And death without immolation offers it up to the Island's authority? We've seen Jack's dad, Anna Lucia, Boone, and Echo's brother appear post-mortem, to Jack, Echo, Locke, and Locke and Echo, respectively, apparently benevolently. This is the first time that we've seen the identity of a dead body on the Island used to deceive and punish a survivor.

They burned Colleen's body.

I really don't think that Juliet looks *uncannily* like Jack's ex-ED-wife, do you?

Not even cannily.

Even tho he'd killed quite a few people in his life, Echo's name was on a list. A list of the "good guys" that the Others wanted to abduct. Were those somehow righteous/justifiable kills? After clubbing two of the Others, does he no longer make that list? The Black Cloud didn't touch him even then.

Where are the newbie Others? Y'know, abductees from Oceanic 815? Smashing rocks?

This second island business... So unnecessary, bleah. Is it invisible from the survivors' island? Is it on the UV painted map? Is it b.s., and the island that Ben showed Sawyer is some kind of meteorological reflection phenomenon?

Nah. I suppose it's there. A smaller island within sight of the big LOST island. Does it share all the strange properties of the big island? Does the healing/pain-killing/mind-over-matterness of the big island also apply on the small one? Did the polar bears swim over? What's up with the sub? Seemed like Jack was led out of his aquarium cell to the viking funeral (and also to surgery last episode) pretty quickly/directly, with no reference or glimpse of a sub.

If the island will repair sickness or damage that is less than severly traumatic/catastrophic, i.e. a bullet to the brain or decapitation—look at Rose(?) and Locke, right?—shouldn't it save Ben? Or is it "saving" him now, but what that amounts to is his being able to do everything he believes he should be able to while the tumor continues to grow?

The Others' village is on the big island (the end of the opening scene of the season premiere).

Echo hallucinates/Black Cloud takes the form of the gangsters he wacked in his brother's church and then the little altar boy, who does a Walt "shush" with a little more...

Shhh... confess...

Taking those forms also fed my theory of the Cloud coming to the island with the heroin plane.

So not fair wacking Echo like that. A crappy way to go. At least, I guess, it didn't take a bite out of him. I do love Echo's non-confession to his non-brother. Well said.
___________________________________________________________
Echo: I ask for no forgiveness, father, for I have not sinned. [Yemmi looks a bit ticked off at that.] I have only done what I needed to do to survive.
A small boy once asked me if I was a bad man. If I could answer him now, I would tell him, that when I was a young boy, I killed a man to save my brother's life. I am not sorry for this... I am proud of this.
[kneeling] I did not ask for the life that I was given, but it was given, nonetheless, and with it, I did my best.
Yemmi: You speak to me as if I were your brother.
___________________________________________________________
Helluva way to reveal some bad mojo.

Assuming that Black Cloud was playing the part of Yemmi, that Cloud really wanted Echo to confess. It was judging him as guilty, a sinner, but was ready to be pleased with/appeased by Echo's confession. This thing wants people to be good, or at least some kind of good. Maybe the difference between their earlier "face-to-cloudface" encounter and this one is that Echo did feel guilty then, but no longer.
___________________________________________________________
Sayid: What did he say, John?
Locke: He said, "We're next."
___________________________________________________________
Keep on keepin on~

No comments: