Friday, November 10, 2006

rounding up to 40...

Some recent acquisitions... Stories, in digital dvd and analog "book" form. Also, Pocky sticks! And what flavor? I'll tell you what flavor! *MEN'S* Bitter Chocolate! That's what flavor, bitches! Just pimps. No hos.

Heh. My sister tells me there's also a Women's SWEET Chocolate. Men's Bitter, Women's Sweet. Check out the ice in the package background imagery. I suppose the sweet chocolate has flowers? Man, the Japanese are so much more advanced in the snack and candy sciences than the U.S.

Y'know, I'm not so sure about this new-fangled retro "book" format. Sure, it's like dvd—you can pause, play, skip forward, and rewind—but it takes so much longer to watch. There *are* some advantages—third-party peripherals that allow you to mark your place if you need to pause indefinitely, and "books" are highly portable, with a player built right into each one. Also, I must say, I'm very impressed with the battery life. I mean, the words haven't faded or so much as flickered, not once. I guess the sleep mode must be super-efficient. Or perhaps there are solar cells embedded in their cases? It's a mystery. Still, with such a clunky interface, using "page" and "ink" technology (apparently some kind of e-ink derivative), how long can its popularity last? Unless Apple decides to rework this "book," I'd say it's a fad, probably won't even last as long as the tubes of the internetz.

Still, I suppose they could age into decent collector's items, right?

Was in disbelief upon spotting this tonight in Harvard Square...
Fer realz? Wack.

Didja know that "ihop" spun upside-down is "doh!"? Go ahead and turn a menu over next time you're Rootin' Tootin' Fresh and Fruitin' =)

Keep on keepin on~

Oldboy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recall having that IHOP conversation with you at a Beantown IHOP.

So, are they opening one in the Square? Are you going to apply?

cabinboy said...

Ayep, that picture's from Squaresville, just next to New England Comics. The same space that usedta be a craptacular failed Friday's. Perhaps the lot is cursed?

In principle, I'm not all that happy to see another franchisey name planting itself in the Square. In practice, well, if they keep IHOPy hours, I have to admit, I may avail myself of their French toast more than once after a midnight Brattle flick.

Hopefully there will be less vomit on pancakes at this location than the Kenmore one.

I'm not going to apply, at least, not for a while. Business isn't all that bad just now. =)

Speaking of Square dev, I've heard that Harvard is going to be booting many of their retail tenants along Mass Ave, facing the Yard. That means Toscanini's... Yenching... Alas, Ferranti Dege is already gone, foo... Everyone but the tobacconist's, who I believe has some kind of tie to the University, or at least, their rowing program.

And who/what will be moving in? What void in the Harvard Square experience is just screaming to be filled, need to be met? Why, banks, of course! Cuz we don't have nearly enough bank options in a square block area...

Well, banks and more apartments or condos.

At least one new addition to Squaresville is conscious of What Came Before. Z Square (or is it Square Z?), the new restaurant eatery that took Finagle a Bagel's spot, offers a Wursthaus special, which of course, is all about the sausage. =)

It's a little thing, but appreciated.

Also, they've got a nice restaurant space downstairs offering some very good eats. I can vouch firsthand for the fish and chips and country fried chicken. =)