Saturday, October 21, 2006

SEVERANCE: additional cutbacks...

___________________________________________________________
Maggie: I didn't want to be accused of not killing the guy when I had the chance...
___________________________________________________________
First, a little comment about one of the SEVERANCE cast. I totally spaced on including it in my early am ramble...

It was nice to see Daisy Adaire (of DEAD LIKE ME, also seen on 24 a couple seasons back) on the big screen again. It's the first time I've seen her larger than life since THE FACULTY (what if THE BREAKFAST CLUB encountered an alien invasion conspiracy? =). I can't remember the actress's name now, but it caught me by surprise in the SEVERANCE end credits. For years I've been sure her name was Ashley something. Why would I think that, you ask? Maybe because that's the name that was burned into my brain by the opening credits of FIFTEEN on Nickelodeon... geez, like fifteen years ago. Wack. Yeah, I believe all of the cast were actually in their early teens, playing their ages, and the opening credits had the kids doing whatever and then pausing and turning to look at the camera. Then their first names would appear beside them, each of which also happened to be their character names. I figured it was some strategy for Nickelodeon to promote the future kid stars/moneymakers to kids by using the real name as the character name. Barely logical now that I look back, heh.

Yes, that's right, I said FIFTEEN. What? Have you not read my blog before?

Do you suppose that admission will get me on a watch list?

I'm watching DEAD LIKE ME on replay right now. The most recent in the SciFi reruns have been pretty powerful, in that sometimes clunky DEAD LIKE ME way...
___________________________________________________________
Mason: [to Daisy] You are so beautiful... and I love you... I just don't like you anymore...
___________________________________________________________
George: Maybe I'll try something different today...
Roxy: You should! It's a bi-ig menu.
___________________________________________________________
Second, a warning against thinking that the SEVERANCE trailer might be too good to be true...

The trailer might seem like it gives all the good stuff away. (I do despise a trailer that does that : P) I mean, giving up the scenes featuring the leg in the trap and the cooler on the bus and all, it certainly begs the question, "How could it get any better?"

Now, I know I've posted links to the trailer in order to lure you into seeing it at the festival (just done it again, too =), but with the BFFF screening past, if you can avoid the trailer until the movie comes out next year, please do, and just GO! Go see the film without any trailer peeking. But, if you've already been teased and tantalized by the goodness of it, and asked the aforementioned question, rest assured, it *does* get even better. =)
_______________________________________________________
And third, in case you're not convinced by my monotonous prose, I present to you below a *SPOILERy* description of a brilliant comic-horror setup and delivery from the film, including a brief list of some of the violent ends that SEVERed office mates meet...

At one point early in the story, product manager Jill is freaked out by a masked peeper in her upstairs room window, prompting everyone to acknowledge the ultra-creepiness of their predicament. All of the non-sycophants agree they want out, pronto. Cut off from civilization and without transporation, company manager (and jellyfish) Richard decides to co-opt star salesman Harris's plan to send someone up the mountain a ways to get a cell signal and call for a ride out. He sends Jill and Harris. On their hike up, the two get to chatting, and being in the business of weapons development, the conversation turns to "humane killing." Jill is disgusted at the thoughtless suffering that 21st century killing technology causes, and then reveals herself to be a fan of a particular classic, the guillotine.

[Wow, just saw a guillotine on the cover of the library copy of A TALE OF TWO CITIES that George's little sister Reggie picks out from a pile at the school library on DEAD LIKE ME.]

Nearly instantaneous and completely humane, claims Jill. Harris disagrees, explaining to Jill how it's proven that once severed from the body, the brain can still be alive, and the mind conscious, for minutes. It's a very fun and animated discussion that is unfortunately interrupted by the discovery of the battered and bloodied body of their bus driver.

When the peeper finally shows himself, we find that he's got friends, well armed and miltary-trained friends. Together they hunt down the office mates one by one. Hardly seems fair, really. The jerks. Jill goes out in flames. Richard has an unfortunate encounter with one of his own products. And Harris, well, he gets decapitated.

=)

AND... it's just as he said. We see the killer's blade swing at Harris's neck, then, we are treated to his freshly decapitated point-of-view! It takes a second to understand it, as the screen is filled with a bumpy rolling view of of the woods, but it's perfect! After a few seconds, the rolling nighttime scenery resolves to Richard's head settling to a stop on the ground, eyes bright and wideawake, blinking, blinking, looking around, blinking, looking, blinking, looking, blinking, blinking... and at the last, smiling.

That's just so frickin sweet. I love it! =)

Heh. Mason just tried to offload a "Kitchen Guillotine" at a yard sale. That seems like a sign that I should sign off, eh?

I wanna mosey on down the the Square on the earlier side anyhow... take in some of the Head of the Chuck mob scene before disappearing into the flickering shadows upstairs at the Brattle for another couple of movies. I'm hitting BLOOD TEA AND RED STRING on my own at 5.30. Dan's gonna try to meet up with me for my first viewing of THE HOST at 7.30, and if he's up for sticking around maybe we'll catch some space opera, courtesy of CLAW JOB, at 10pm. It's very possible I might be knackered by then and more in the mood for fooding... We shall see...

Keep on keepin on~

No comments: