Sunday, October 29, 2006

VERONICA MARS coolness

Neptune's class protector, Veronica Mars. =)
___________________________________________________________
Papa Keith: Look at my dedicated college student!
Veronica: Knowledge is power.
Papa Keith: Nietzsche?
Veronica: Mmm mmm. School House Rock.
___________________________________________________________
Just watched the first two episodes from this season and needed to drop a quick blog about how I can't stop being impressed with its supercoolness.

Veronica's started at Hearst College in Neptune this fall. Alas, no sign of guest stars from last season, George Michael and Maeby Bluth. Still, even without them, college is chock full of goodness. Cool points of note from the first two episodes, in no particular order...

THE SIMPSONS's Homer, Dan Castellanata, is a Sociology prof who puts his first year class, including Wallace and Logan, through the classic prisoner-warden simulation/study, updated with a preface about Abu Ghraib. A student in the experiment drops a "D'oh!" in one scene as he leaves.

Tina Majorino, aka Napoleon's Deb, hangs in as Veronica's Willow at Hearst. Yay!Wallace gets a competent nerdy somewhat Screech-like RA who introduces them to BSG's "Frak" as the curse word of the future. Okay, I didn't like the "of the future" description/error, but TO-tally loved the tip-of-the-hat, and laughed out loud when Veronica dropped a very apropos "frak" bomb in dialogue an episode later.

Note: My frackin "frack"s are a frankenstein combination of Dirk Benedict's Starbuck's smart mouth and Mel Blanc's Yosemite Sam's muttered cussin'.

The velcro-haired ventriloquist geek of FREAKS AND GEEKS finds new life as a Hearst student. I think that he was a college freshman in something like three canned Fox sitcoms in the last three years.

In the above-mentioned Stanford Prison Lite, Logan ends up in the prisoners. In the course of the experiment, he engineers a breakout, and upon sucking down a food court delicacy he totally channels (quotes?) homicidal peckerwood T-bag Bagwell from PRISON BREAK!—I *think* it's a rip-off of a line that he utters once he's gotten a first taste of food outside of Fox River...
___________________________________________________________
Logan: [Channelling T-Bag] I do declare! That was the finest frito pie I believe I have ever tasted!
___________________________________________________________
Frackin brilliant =)

I was happy that I had In and Rowan in front of the telly while watching. It's one thing to tell people about how good a show is, but so much more to get them to watch it and feed them the backstories and point out the details, y'know? I think maybe they'll pay more attention in the future. Perhaps I can even jockey to get season 1 onto my sister's Netflix queue, heh.

Oh, I got to explain to them how it was on VERONICA MARS last year that I saw my first ever network televisional reference to "the shocker" - HA =) Veronica broke it out in conversation with Weevil, like an exclamation, y'know? She said, "Shocker!" in sarcastic surprise, and accompanied it with the gesture, but she got the fingers wrong, heh. Weevil is about to correct her, complete with an explanation, when she shakes it off and moves on to more pressing matters.

Not sure if reruns from earlier seasons are still playing now, but if they are, I urge you to check them out. If you're pretty quick on the TV uptake, jump into the new shows. If you're a completist, or prefer watching your shows in 3-6 episode runs, Netflix/rent seasons 1 and 2 on DVD!

Good crack. =)

Wack! Guess what other bit of supercool worked its way into Veronica's frackin dialogue in the second episode! I kid you not!

"Keep on keepin on~"

=)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All right, that settles it. I must start watching Veronica Mars, especially since Gilmore Girls this season blows chunks. I'm starting to believe the theory that they're getting the audience ready to end the show-by making the audience hate it.

Ah well-must indoctrinate Andy into the Veronica Mars now...