Sunday, October 29, 2006

six-stringed-together-words samurai challenge

At the prompting of designfemme, I'm reserving this blog entry for posting submissions along the lines of WIRED's very short story challenge. The simple directive: write a science fiction, fantastickal, or horroriffic story in six words (or less =).

Drop a comment with your sudden fiction and, provided it doesn't offend my very delicate sensibilities, I'll add it to the collection within this post. A challenge, not a contest, I offer no prize or award, and no rating system, although, you are welcome to drop cheers (but please, not jeers) in addition to your six words in any comments. I do acknowledge, but do not guarantee, the possibility of killing time in a vaguely creative way, and perhaps an unquantifiable sense of accomplishment.

Identify yourself any way you like (or don't), and include a site/blog/or even email link if you'd like. Not that you're going to get a lot of traffic from an appearance here, the three of you. =)

Here's a few to get things going...

Robot: Do. You. Think. I'm. Sexy?
---cabinboy 061028

Escape pod holds five. Pick straw.
---designfemme 061028

Superflu antidote! Just in time! *Achoo!*
---cabinboy 061028
___________________________________________________________
Egg becomes man. Chicken questioned.
---zorknapp 061029

Humans colonize stars. Property values plummet.
---cabinboy 061030

DNA. Isotope. Electricity. Back, you beast!
---Jeff 061030

Machines choose new ruler. November 2004.
---cabinboy 061030

Last earthman: "Hey, baby." Humanity doomed.
---cabinboy 061031

Shapeshifters conquer world. Nothing changes.
---Anna 061101

"Geez, who died?" "You did, Lazarus."
---cabinboy 061101

Cute alien. Beam me down, Scotty!
---Anna 061101

Help! --zap-- I know Kung Fu.
---Anna 061101

Boy plays video game; aliens die.
---Anna 061101

Forbidden spell. Conjurer hiccups. Hiccups cured.
---cabinboy 061104
___________________________________________________________
Gort spoke: Keep on keepin on~
---cabinboy 061029 =)

p.s. If you haven't seen SIX-STRING SAMURAI, get thee to watching it! Brilliant indie alternate American reality sci-fi martial arts wonder. =)

6 comments:

zorknapp said...

Egg becomes man. Chicken questioned.

This idea actually predates the Wired stuff for awhile. I recall reading about Hemingway's submission to a very short story contest, which was "For Sale: Baby shoes, never worn."

zorknapp said...

Oh, and Six String Samurai ROCKS. I'm surprised there was never a real sequel, or perhaps a continuation in comics. Or was there (comics, I mean...)

cabinboy said...

Heh. Nice.

The full WIRED piece cites the Hemingway short as the inspiration for their challenge. Also includes Arthur C. Clarke's shortest short (which breaks the six-word limit).

cabinboy said...

I don't know if there was any epilogue/next chapter SAMURAI work. There *was* a comic book released, which I think was an adaptation of the movie. I'm pretty sure it was Rob X-FORCE Liefield, or a knock-off artist, doing the book, so I passed on picking it up.

In my head I imagine the neighborhood kung-fu expert in GHOST DOG (some almost doddering dude carrying groceries home who gets attacked by some would-be mugger) to be SAMURAI's Buddy, or the guy who plays Buddy.

I remember rounding up people to go see SIX-STRING in shifts, at the Coolidge, I think. I really do love the life and spirit of that flick. *Such* a good genre mash-up with great ideas and fun execution. =)

It was the first time I noticed that Hollywood Stock Exchange was making/funding movies. I never participated, but Jim played it for a while. I didn't, and don't, know how it works and how it pulls in any revenue, but I thought it was a brilliant idea to take money made through it and invest in film production.

Alaas, I don't think I've seen the HSX bumper before any credits since then... : (

df said...

Jeff's:

DNA. Isotope. Electricity. Back, you beast!

cabinboy said...

This six-word business is dangerous. It's just eating up cycles, and not-so-idle ones.