Friday, December 02, 2005

#17... THE MALTESE FALCON...


Just a long weekend to go til the end of the 'thon. There's still time to place your bets! Errr... that is, to sponsor, pledge, and donate.

Joshua let me know earlier this week that my justgiving.com page comes up under the second result when you Google "Brattle" and "fundraiser." How he found that out exactly... I don't know. =)

I love me some Bogart, Greenstreet, and Lorre in THE MALTESE FALCON. I do, I do! Noir icons, dramatically lit, breathing life into some great hardboiled Dashiell Hammett private detecting. It's all good. =)

Good turnout for the 7.30 fundraising screening. And from the applause, people are paying attention. I know on paper, it's not the most important thing in the world, but it's a happy place, and a kind of happy place, that would be sorely missed if shut down.

Upon hearing phantom footsteps behind me in the exit/restroom hallway before the show this evening, I wondered for the first time tonight if there are any ghosts in the theater.

Coming up this weekend, the documentary about the seeding of Lake Victoria w some monster salmon or some such eating fish, and its powerful effects on the economy and society of Tanzania, DARWIN'S NIGHTMARE, a Saturday matinee double feature of CINDERELLA and BLACK BEAUTY, and Saturday night, starting at 10pm, the TWIN PEAKS marathon, which kicks off with FIRE WALK WITH ME, then the television pilot, followed by the seven episodes of the first season. Cherry pie and coffee available to all attendees!


I wonder that the Brattle ghost tinkered w the lights in the men's room in honor of the PEAKS thon. I've noticed over the past week that it's gone from steady to spastic, on the fritz, like the light in a morgue scene from season one.

Walking back home from the square, a churchy bell somewhere behind me started tolling... and wouldn't stop. I lost count at around 35 or so. The bell started a few minutes before 10pm by my watch and kept going until I stepped inside my building, a few minutes after. What up w that?

I do love my movies, but seeing so many alone is a little bit sad...

Keep on keepin on~

The best thing I ever heard:
"When I slap you, you'll take it and LIKE it!"
--- Sam Spade to Joey Cairo, THE MALTESE FALCON

No comments: