Saturday, December 10, 2005

*flashback* Please DONATE/SPONSOR my Movie Watch-A-Thon! =)

A copy/paste w embedded links of my original Watch-A-Thon mass emailing...
----------
1. The form email...
----------
Hello,

I am raising money for the Brattle Film Foundation and would really welcome your support.

Please take a moment to visit my online fundraising page and make a donation. It's really easy - you can donate by credit card and receive a record of your donation. Here's my page.

All donations are secure and sent directly to Brattle Film Foundation. Please join me in supporting Brattle Film Foundation and a fabulous cause!

Thanks and best wishes,

brian paik
----------
2. The long-winded brian paik riff...
----------
Greetings, __________ (check all that apply)
[ ] friend!
[ ] neighbor!
[ ] family member!
[ ] friend of the family!
[ ] esteemed colleague!
[ ] teammate!
[ ] programs!
[ ] arch-nemesis, we meet again!
[ ] long lost [ ]college/[ ]high school/[ ]summer camp buddy!
[ ] one-time match.com date (isn't it about time we had that silly restraining order lifted?)!
[ ] person on my IM buddy list whom I don't remember who it is you are!
[ ] FBI agent tapping my email!
[ ] now stranger, but future best bud with the good fortune to be included with me in the cc list of a chain email sent by a mutual friend!

I'm emailing to ask for your support in the Brattle Film Foundation's Movie Watch-A-Thon. This non-profit organization programs and operates the Brattle Theatre in Harvard Square. Have I not mentioned the Brattle Theatre to you before? I do seem to babble on about so many other matters, I'm not surprised. Well, I'll just tell you that I've been known to catch one of those new-fangled moving pictures there every once in a blue moon.

And speaking of heavenly bodies, my, but you are looking fine, aren't you? I mean, extraordinarily so. There's just something different about you, isn't there? Something vital that seems to energize the very air around you. I can't quite put my finger on it... Have you been working out, hitting the gymanotorium? Oh yes, yes, that must be it. You are cutting an even more impressive figure than I remember!

But I digress. Where was I? Oh yes, the Brattle Theatre's fundraising drive! The Watch-A-Thon I'm in is similar to the walk-a-thons you're probably familiar with, only instead of covering miles of asphalt and sidewalk, I'll be viewing miles of film! As a sponsor of mine, you can pledge an amount per movie watched, or donate a fixed amount, all to help preserve this wonderful little theatre and its excellent programming!

Oh, I see now that you're wearing your hair differently as well! That's a great look for you - very sharp, sophisticated, modern. I do approve! But I must say, it really is about the whole package with you, isn't it? I mean, that outfit! Or ensemble, I should say. Of course, you will modestly insist that you just threw that together. If only everyone could "just throw together" such style. Why, it almost pains me to look directly at you - so...radiant!

But where IS my head? Your stunning presence has completely distracted me from my purpose yet again. So taken I am with that glow about you, I've all but forgotten that I'm engaged in an appeal to your renowned sense of charity and celebrated generosity!

As a participant in the Watch-A-Thon, I'm seeking sponsors who will pledge a certain dollar amount donation to the Brattle for every movie I watch in the 23 days from November 11 to December 4. You KNOW I'm not all that keen on moviegoing, so you understand what a terrible hardship and chore this will be for me. =)

But, what can I tell you? It will be worth it to keep the Brattle's projectors running! I have a soft spot for this moviehouse where I first saw so many great films on the big screen. It's where my life changed just a little bit when I first saw Chow Yun Fat step-and-slide his way down that tea-house stairway railing, two guns a-blazin', partnered with Tony Leung in John Woo's HARD-BOILED -damn!- over a decade ago! The darkened theater where I first experienced movies like CITIZEN KANE, DONNIE DARKO, DOG SOLDIERS, FALLEN ANGELS, BOB LE FLAMBEUR, RIFIFI, CASABLANCA, TOUCH OF EVIL, TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE, THE SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS, METROPOLIS, JU-ON, YOJIMBO, AMERICAN ASTRONAUT, BUBBA HO-TEP, GOODBYE, DRAGON INN... Where I can go to see "What's Opera, Doc?" on the big screen, catch Monday night Noir flicks, and EVIL DEAD 2 and FREAKS on Halloween... and where I consistently go to see the best of film's past (BICYCLE THIEF), present (NAPOLEON DYNAMITE), and future (ONG-BAK).

So, what do you say, my extremely gorgeous chum? Would you care to pledge some of your very attractive dollars to help preserve this charming little theater and its fine programming? To make a one-time donation online with a credit card, check out my fundraising page (along with some more rambling).

If you'd like to make a PLEDGE-PER-MOVIE for the 'thon, email me back with an amount you're comfortable with. Or, feel free to accost me the next time we meet and let me know then. I suppose it's only fair that I should, well, WARN you that I foresee my final movie watch count being in the teens. So double-check your cyphering accordingly!~

Once the Watch-A-Thon period begins, I'll update you regularly on my progress, and when I can, cobble together reviews of the movies I consume along the way. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch a couple of them in your company. =)

For a schedule of upcoming Brattle screenings and more info about the Brattle Theatre and the Watch-A-Thon itself, check out the Brattle site!

If you're up for reading some much more eloquent cases for the preservation of this little-theater-that-should, check out the press links in the right column here.

Please pass this email and/or the justgiving.com link on to anyone you think might be up for helping the Brattle out, and thanks for any support you can offer!

Keep on keepin on,
brian out =)

No comments: