Friday, December 23, 2005

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE!

Just got out of a screening of IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE. Such a perfect little film! I do adore this incredible science fictional yarn. Everyone should see this movie! No, no, that's not quite what I mean to say...

What I really mean is that everyone should WATCH this movie! I think that people have often seen it, just happened to have it on in the background during holiday get-togethers or dindins or drinks, y'know? But I'll bet half the people who have had the movie on the tube in front of them have NOT actually WATCHED it. Fix that, people!

A ton of bits of fun and associations...

That little moment where Mary leans over the counter to whisper into George's bad ear...

"Is this the ear you can't hear on? George Bailey, I'll love you till the day I die."

That is real world magic right there, that is.

Donna Reed is HOT!

Ernie and Bert!

Zuzu's petals!

I kept having flashes to moments from the BACK TO THE FUTURE movies. I remember having flashes to THIS movie when watching those movies, heh. All references and no original experience... Welcome to the future! Wack! Really, tho, I think Zemeckis or Spielberg, whoever was at the helm for certain decisions in the FUTURE flicks, took copious notes on LIFE for how to handle the details of alternate realities for a movie audience. Housing developments, cemeteries, storefronts and marquees on main street, even camera moves... Good crack.

In recent years, Jimmy Stewart, and particularly Jimmy Stewart in IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, reminds me of my friend and old coworker, Chris. He would do the greatest character impressions, and his George Bailey, especially delivering the "scurvy little spider" tirade, is spot-on. I hope he's having a fine holiday in the vermont wild.

I know it's not possible for everyone to catch this movie on the big screen, in a darkened theater, the way they should. But you know, if you think about watching it this holiday (Saturday, Christmas Eve, 8pm, NBC), turn down the lights, gather your friends and fam round the televisional hearth, or whomver you're slummin the holidays away with, and watch it, but like a movie, intent. You will enjoy it. If you do it right, I bet it'll be like watching it for the first time ever. It is Good. =)

"Merry Christmas, movie house!"
--- George Bailey, IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE

Keep on keepin on~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The more i watch this the more I see!
Did you notice the drawing of Potters wheelchair on the stairway wall?
http://www.soopergrape.com/photobox/iawl_review.html#Potters_wheelchair_drawing