Monday, December 05, 2005

Watch-A-Thon wrap and DARWIN'S NIGHTMARE@the Brattle...

Thanks to everyone who supported my movie craziness, I managed to bring in over $2,100 in donations and pledges for the Brattle - woohoo! THANKS, everyone =) You'll each get an extra 5 minutes to share at my iminent film addiction intervention, enablers!

At the finish line get-together at the Hong Kong, Ivy announced that the Watch-A-Thon itself raised over $8,000 in a little more than three weeks, with maybe a dozen "big-time" participants. Many more signed up, but were not so maniacal and aggressive about reaching out and movie-going as the top fundraisers. Prizes went to most movies watched and most funds raised. Top moviegoer, Jay, with a thon count of 28, won himself an iPod shuffle, and top fundraiser, Ed, with $2,300 raised, picked up a 10 DVD collection of Criterion Collection movies. Damn, I wonder if the Kurasawa samurai collection is part of that? Frack, that would be frickin shweet.

Although I didn't get to compare actual numbers of movies watched, I think I would've come in second in movie count, with 23.5 (although I only had 22.5 marked at the Kong). According to the JustGiving site, I definitely came in second in bucks raised.

*sigh* O well.

On the wider fundraising front, the Brattle looks to be on a pace to make about half of their $400K goal by the end of this year. Not as much as they'd been hoping/shooting for, but enough to feel secure in discussing and negotiating their next lease in February. That amount sort of buys them another two months to continue in current fundraising mode. So, if you've got a few bucks you don't know what to do with in the next couple months, please take them over to the Brattle for a ticket and/or a donation. Also just confirmed that my page at justgiving.com will be "open" thru April, so feel free to exercise your Visa or MC there in support of this most excellent movie house!

After sucking down some free buffet, and meeting some of my esteemed colleagues and competitors in the 'thon, I went and hit my last movie of the Watch-A-Thon run, a 7.30 show of DARWIN'S NIGHTMARE at the Brattle. I didn't have a stamp for it on my final 'thon card, cuz I turned that in at the Kong, but it would've been #23.5 - as of the finish line, I'd soaked in 18 Brattle screenings and 9 non-Brattle, for a total of 22.5 'thon movies.

DARWIN'S NIGHTMARE... Not the feel-good flick of the winter, and not what I expected from the title and trailer, but powerful flick for instilling one of those frustrating, righteously indignant, and quite despairing "WTF is wrong w the world?" feelings, y'know? The Jaguar "Gorgeous..." ad was notably (thoughtfully?) absent as part of the pre-show.

I really don't have the head to do the subject or the filmmaking justice, but the Brattle's summary and Boston Globe do a decent job of it. It is playing thru Wednesday at the Brattle. Do check it out. A bit of a harrowing eye-opening educational experience, but also a helluva sobering "snap out of it" counter to all the frickin holiday music that beats on you all day this holiday season.

Keep on keepin on~

The best thing I ever heard (frickinfrackinsazzafrazzin...):
"Second comes right after first..."
--- Buzz Aldrin, "Deep Space Homer," THE SIMPSONS

No comments: