Saturday, December 03, 2005

GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK and NARNIA...

It's Saturday afternoon and I'm making a quick pit stop between movies and meals.

One more day of the 'thon! THANKS to everyone who's donated to the Brattle! Do spread the word and keep checkin the schedule yourself for flicks you might want to see. I'm shooting to catch DARWIN'S NIGHTMARE tomorrow sometime.

Caught a preview screening with of NARNIA with Kim, Jeff, and Joe this morning at the Boston Common and dig it mucho. The Pevensie girls don't quite match my imagined Lucy and Susan, but Edmund won me over (that jerkass), and Peter seemed pretty right on. My biggest concern over the realization of this film was the talking animals of Narnia - lip syncing unnatural jaw movements for english and all - but they totally work. The dialogue is punched up a bit for banter compared to what I remember of the book, and the battle scenes are impressive and action-packed without being complete chaos, y'know? And the filmmakers do a solid job of delivering "satisfying" violence without spraying the lens with blood. For the kids, donchaknow. It's probably nitpickable, but just now, I don't have the energy. I like it.

Last night I saw GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK with Rowan. Well-crafted is the description that comes to mind first. Compelling storytelling, and excellent atmosphere and ambience. If only the themes and materials were somehow relevant to life in America today...

I'm gonna catch AEON FLUX early this evening. I'm pretty much expecting schlock. The trailers look really disappointing given how excellent the original animated serial was.

Later in the evening I'm planning on hitting the TWIN PEAKS marathon at the Brattle. I'm not sure how long I'll last tho. Was out late w some volleyball goons last night and didn't get home til about 3 something and to bed til around 4. Then had to be up and into town early to get seats at that Narnia preview. Maybe some fried David Lynch in an overtired sleep-deprived state is just the thing to keep me up all night, tho. We shall see~

After getting out of GOOD NIGHT last night, I saw for the first time that the "dread" holiday lights in the Boston Common trees are on in the evenings again.

Keep on keepin on~

2 comments:

zorknapp said...

Hey, I like those holiday lights!

I'm interested on your take on the Narnia film. I'm sure I'll see it, but the previews made it look too much like a redo of LOTR, with the battle scenes.

I'll probably post about your movie marathon on my blog also.

cabinboy said...

Thanks for the free publicity, Zorky!

I've been meaning to put something a little deeper together on NARNIA for the blog, but post-thon-partem depression has got me seriously demotivated. Will see if I can get into it more tonight.

It's Good, tho. And if you liked the books at all, you really can't not see it. =)