Sunday, February 25, 2007

black wednesday jukebox

When it's twilight or dark and I listen to the tunes I put in my Valentine jukebox this year, man, they make me sad. It's loaded up with 80s music I'm a sucker for, joyous cheese product, you might say, as well as a couple of tracks for Black Wednesday over-the-top-ness and laughs, and okay, I'm more amazed than saddened by Charlene's motivational in-the-mirror monologue in the middle of "I've Never Been To Me," but overall, sad.

The tracklist:
  1. Modern English | I Melt With You
    80s joy.

  2. David Brent | Free Love Freeway (remix)
    Remixed goodness from the Imperial series of THE OFFICE.

  3. Wham | I'm Your Man
    80s joy.

  4. Naked Eyes | Always Something There To Remind Me
    80s joy.

  5. Simple Minds | Don't You Forget About Me
    John Hughes enhanced 80s joy.

  6. James Iha | music from LINDA LINDA LINDA
    From a fun soundtrack. This is one of several truly lovely instrumental bits, composed by James Iha of Smashing Pumpkins, to accompany quiet and silly moments in the film.

  7. Charlene | I've Never Been To Me
    80s cheese that may or may not be about "She-Bop"-ing.

  8. Olivia Newton John | Magic
    "Xanadu, your neon lights will shine for you...."~

  9. Skee-Lo | The Tale Of Mr. Morton
    School House Rock Rocks! =)

  10. Louis Armstrong | A Kiss to Build A Dream On
    I totally fell in love with this song while animating and editing in Sever basement. A film concentrator—Rachel, I think?—used this song in a segment of a short autobiographical piece. I was hearing it in the basement without ever seeing it with the film for a While and digging it, but when I finally saw it sync'd up in a screening, it was slow motion black and white handheld perfection.
I totally love the XANADU soundtrack. Love the movie. Always hoped there would be "sequels" that would show us what Kira's eight Muse sisters were up to while she was helping Michael Beck and Gene Kelly. I want to know what their artists' stories were like that they would end up at XANADU on the same night as Kira. Did one sister guide that two-feet-off-the-ground tightrope walker from the depths of despair back to the top? Did another encourage the inventor of those blinking marquee lights not to give up on his dream of seeing his idea used to light up a roller-disco? And still another convince an inspired set designer not to give up on his dream of a star-shaped center stage that is lit from within and also the base for some kind of interdimensional transporter to and from Mount Olympus?

There's something wrong with my brain, isn't there?

Hrmm... I wonder if my friends could stand watching XANADU at a Brattle party? That and SHAUN OF THE DEAD as a double feature? Heh. My ultimate double feature with XANADU would have it paired with FLASH GORDON. I'll hafta ask Ned and Ivy if that's even available. I think there was an early short run of it on DVD, but it's been "no longer available" for years. Bleah.

Keep on keepin on~

p.s. If you're looking for a kind-hearted look back at (fictional) 80s pop, check out MUSIC AND LYRICS. Saw it Friday night with Dan and his posse. Will try to throw together a ramble about it soon (I am WAY behind : P), but I'll tell you now and you'll hear me later that it's sincere in its appreciation of the music video 80s, and hey, charming Hugh and cutesy Drew making eyes and music together, what's not to like?

3 comments:

zorknapp said...

You do have a thing for Xanadu, don't you?

danchoi said...

What up. OK my favorite 80s songs are:

Alive and Kicking, Simple Minds
Pride in the Name of Love, U2
With or Without You, U2
Bad, U2
Cradle of Love, Billy Idol
So Lonely, Police
Message in a Bottle (just Sting, not with band)
Sweet Child of Mine, Guns n Roses

cb

Anonymous said...

Loved the Wham!. LOVED the Wham!. Also the Xanadu. I need to watch that movie again, it's been too long. And A Kiss to Build a Dream On was my brother's wedding song-I love that one.