Saturday, February 24, 2007

random: NBC paper execs?

Question: Are all paper company execs grown from the same vat? See Dunder-Mifflin's David (Jan's boss, who shoots hoops w Jim in the back yard during the party), Papertech's Horn-rimmed Mr. Bennet (okay, sure, it's an alter ego/cover, but who's to say he's not actually running the company, too?)...

Anyone?

Would be fun to see the names of either company mentioned as competition on the other's show, donchathink?

Keep on keepin on~

* February 28. Sorry, that should be Primatech Paper up there, not Papertech. I would like to see the name parsed out smartalecky to reveal something of its true nature, a la Seatech Astronomy in SNEAKERS. Primate chp Aper? It would be some silly fun, but not necessarily make a lot of sense within the show's context—an anagram or hidden meaning would make stronger sense if the company was looking for "heroes" who could puzzle solve, or was founded by an eccentric (possible)—then again, that freakin half-DNA strand keeps showing up without any explanation in instances that can't be accounted for by human mucking about (unless Hiro's been bouncing back and forth in time trying to leave his friends clues without actively interacting with them, or the invisible man's been stalking the new heroes and having some fun in the background).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's what she said.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm sorry. I had to.

And btw-while I LOVE Heroes, is it me, or is the plot advancing excruciatingly slowly?

cabinboy said...

No apology necessary. =)

I've been meaning to schizophrenically blast and praise HEROES for the past few weeks but just haven't settled into writing mode for it.

It's been terribly frustrating for many episodes. All those frickin near-misses of "heroes" over and over again. But I kept telling myself that this is all groundwork, y'know? That the show's doing more than just creating a single hero and archnemesis, so it's gonna take time...

I believe that this week's episode was the first part of the real payoff. When Takei showed up as Hiro's dad, and the show had him play an apparently dopey cameo (as opposed to a cheezy cameo, like Stan Lee), I figured something was up. You don't just throw George Takei in for the helluvit. At least, you damn well shouldn't on a show like HEROES. He'd have to be Something More. And hey, whaddyaknow?

I usedta take my TV shows seriously, but not so impatiently. Maybe I'm becoming more obsessive about my shows, or maybe I'm starting to pay attention to/buy the hype. Or maybe it's that I got in the habit of saving up a few weeks' worth of a show and watching them back-to-back for a while, when I was basically watching in a vacuum, but after finding a few people who are into the shows, I've started to watch as they air, and FEELing that WAIT in between weeks... It's causing me to expect more than I typically would...

I mean, is it fair to judge a good show with a great premise and great ideas on a few not-awesome episodes? That would be exactly what FOX has done with the great shows that it's killed over the years. Eejits.

I'm still annoyed by the frickin DNA emblem that appears everywhere. The pendants, fine, but the tattoo, the random items in the background. Unless Hiro's been boppin back and forth in the timestream to clue people in without directly interfering, well, it's pretty annoying.

So, basically, I *do* agree that the writing is trying to use the "near-miss" and senseless or mule-headed withholding of info to keep things slow, but I'm telling myself that when things *do* truly cross over, we'll be rewarded with non-suckiness.