Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Your salmonella's in my peanut butter!

Your peanut butter's in my salmonella!

Joe mentioned the Peter Pan recall the other day. Lucky for me I'm a Jif spreader nowadays. (What the f's a "Jif" anyway?) On hearing the news, I couldn't understand how salmonella got into the peanut butter. In my head, eggs just don't enter into the peanut butter process, y'know? Tainted/shared machinery? Human contaminants (ick)? After wondering about the source, my next concern was what else might be affected. At the time, Joe said that he hadn't read or heard any other products being contaminated.

Unfortunately, that's no longer the case. Although, y'know, if there was no problem with the ConAgra peanut butter, who'd care about someone complaining of feeling sick after eating a King-Size Peanut Butter Cup?

Thanks, Joe, for the update.

Frack, I love my Reesce's. Y'know, they're great to eat with a banana.

Keep on keepin on~

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, we heard this. We're Jif eaters too-there are some VERY strong opinions about this in my house. Apparently, Jif DOES taste different than Peter Pan.

zorknapp said...

Jif is short for Jiffy. Like, "I'll be done sawing the head off this guy in a Jif!"

cabinboy said...

I've always been a Jif consumer, and have never chosen nutty/chunky peanut butter when given the option. It's okay, but it's not what I keep in the cupboard.

Was your household ever in an experimental phase? Trying other brands and rejecting them?

I think maybe I sort of inherited the taste for Jif from my parents shopping habits, just as I did my good feelings for Tide and Bounce and Scott.

Not that I put Tide on toast, wrap Bounce around a banana.

cabinboy said...

@zorky. I always thought the "jif" as unit of time (excellent example, btw =) was spelled with two F's.

And I did think that Jif was once, or had a brother peanut butter product named, Jiffy. Not sure what the etymology along that line was like.

Anonymous said...

Honestly, I can't tell the difference in taste, because I have some seriously underdeveloped (and plebian apparently) taste buds. I've only been TOLD there's a difference in taste, by the man who ALSO maintains that Cheese Nips and Cheez-its taste different. Apparently Peter Pan is sweeter than Jif.

Oh, and under no circumstances am I EVER to buy chunky peanut butter.

Dude, I could write a book about my husband's food quirks.