Tuesday, March 28, 2006

I WILL NOT EAT THINGS FOR MONEY...




I first saw the live-action version of the SIMPSONS intro at Josh's site a few weeks back. It was up multiple times at YouTube back then, but I didn't see any definitive or authoritative explanation or credit for the ingenious and inspired bit of work. The one thing I feel I miss in the live-action version is seeing the readout from Maggie being scanned at the supermarket cashier. Not vital, but just a lost opportunity for some extra fun with the material.

Anyhow...

Tonight, after Monday volleyball w "Say My Name," Steve and I hit the Greenbriar for a drink and some pizza with some other BVA-types. At one point conversation jumped around from "It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time" to the SIMPSONS intro. JJ mentioned it first. Turned out that no one else had seen it besides us. At the time, I figured JJ must have caught it online, like I did, but now, I'm thinking that perhaps he didn't catch it on the internetz, cuz...

This week, I saw it again...

As the SIMPSONS show opener on Sunday night!

Okay, specifically, I watched it just a half hour or so ago, as the actual show opener to this Sunday night's (March 26) episode, saved on my replayTV. Was sweet seeing it at TV resolution, altho a little compromised, I think, by the TV ratio, vs. the letterbox form it's been in online (I only noticed because I couldn't see live-action Smithers next to Mr. Burns checking his watch - there was one other difference I noticed, too...).

I did a little digging and found that the short was intentionally placed on YouTube as viral promotion for a UK TV station's SIMPSONS publicity campaign. It apparently received Matt Groening's blessing, and was tapped for use as the show's intro this week. Produced by a UK ad/media firm, and presumably, shot in the UK, you'll see that Marge is in the driver's seat on the right side of the car in the online versions. However, in the opener on Sunday night, that shot is flipped left-right, so that Marge appears to be driving the American way.

For whatever reason, Homer is in the driver's seat on the left side in both versions. Go figure.

Being UK-produced, it's a perfect intro for an episode written by and starring Ricky Gervais, creator, writer, and star of the Empire's original THE OFFICE series (as opposed to the Colonies', starring Steve Carell).

Dadgum evening volleyball league... Muckin w my metabolism and keeping me wakesy in the wee hours. Will be a fine TIRED day at the office tomorrow. Hohum.

Keep on keepin on~

2 comments:

zorknapp said...

I got your Empire reference, without even needing the Colonies explanation!

cabinboy said...

A little thing I forgot to mention...

I think the uncut version (meaning the video released into the wilds of the internetz) "features" Homer's buttcrack as he's running from Marge barrelling into the garage in the station wagon.

The powers that be apparently digitally disappeared the offending assfault in the opener that aired w the show.