Thursday, March 16, 2006

Ides of March...

A random conjunction of tiny stars in my life has resulted in me arriving at March 15 in my current subway commuter reading, THE FOOL ON THE HILL by Matt Ruff, on the date of the same count on the real and actual calendar. Funky, no?

It's a fun book, set mostly in Cornell, in Ithaca, NY, and involving modern (well, mid-to-late 80s) characters' lives falling into the roles of Shakespearean and classic fairy tale archetypes, all playing parts the lead up to a massive collision/conflict prophesied to take place on the Ides of March. I read Ruff's GAS, SEWER, ELECTRIC, his second book, years ago, and dug it mucho. When I picked up FOOL, I *thought* it was his NEXT book, but it turns out it's his first. There's something about his writing for me that makes it very easy to consume. It's somehow loose and flowing. It probably helps that FOOL comes in two- to ten-page bite-sized sections, too, making almost every red line commute more satisfying than a typical read.

Not yet ready to tackle a report on last night's 24 Tuesday...

Had a couple of f'd up dreams...

One was full of spiders. Spiderwebs unavoidable. So many spiders on everything that if you didn't know, it looked like the walls and floors and ceilings and table tops and coats and blankets were moving... shifting...

Very unpleasant dream.

The other was no doubt alarm clock inspired... A fire alarm in our apartment building. I was too busy doing something or other (probably watching ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT or BSG =) to be bothered to get up off me bum and leave the building. By the time I finally stepped up and out, the hallways were all smoky and firefolk were all about, to and fro. I think I was about to get a stern talking-to when I woke up.

Exciting stuff, eh?

Keep on keepin on~

No comments: