Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Say My Name v2.0


Tonight was the first night of the new session of BVA Monday co-ed reverse league vball. We were down one Lauren/Schwa, but Josh/Schwa managed to wrangle a Scott to pick up some of that slack - but certainly not all, as girl-Schwa is NOT replaceable! We also broke in two new NameSayers - Christy (or is it Kristen?) and Mark. I think Christy is new to Boston area volleyball, though she seems familiar, and although I've been in many league sessions with Mark, I've never played with him before. As bum-slap-happy Sarah once said - "I can't believe I've never played with March Arkibald before!"

Heh.

Christy's got good hands, and set kinda Sara-style for us on the men's net. On defenes I saw some excellent open-hand passes. I've really gotta make myself do that more, bleah. She also kinda sorta in-a-way KILLS the ball. That don't hurt none. Jackie, Lauren, now Christy, and a number of excellent subs last session... Captain Josh *does* have a gift for finding some very fun and talented hitters to set.

Mark. Great passing tonight, and a heckuva versatile swing. Gotta say, tho, he brings a potentially dangerous giggle trigger factor to the team. It would only take a fraction of his capacity for hijinks to incapacitate Jackie, either with a shock or a fit of laughter. Gotta watch out for that.

It was a fun night of ball. I'm still a bit gimpy anklewise. It didn't hurt me too badly on the women's net for my setting, but on the men's net, on defense (which I love to play) I felt like I couldn't sidestep/dive as well or as fast as I usually do in reaction to hits and deflections. I was actually hitting a bit better on Friday night than I did tonight, but I think that was more due my shoulder -which I tweaked somewhere early on in the evening- than my ankle.

I am a frickin mess. Age and poor maintenance. I've just gotta suck it up...

This I type as a blue gel ice pack melts and sweats, wrapped around my ankle with an ace bandage.

The multiple name thing on the roster is not so conspicuous this session. We'll have the two Schwas, but only one each of Christy, Jackie, Mark, and myself. There's a lot of potential among the subs pool, tho. We've got Jack and Jacky I'm sure, and there's many a Christy, Kristi, and Kristin out there.

Should be a fun session! Still, can't wait to start messing myself up outdoors and on the beach! =)


*sigh*

Keep on keepin on~

Been watching a replayTV'd OFFICE while typing... The best things I ever heard - funny, then serious, then funny again.

"Remember on LOST...? When they met The Others...?"
--- Dwight, turning to the faux documentary camera as the staff leaves the office and descends into the warehouse.

"There are always a million reasons not to do something..."
--- Jan Levinson.

"This here is a run-out-the-clock situation, just like upstairs."
--- Stanley, explaining to the intern that efficiency is not what is wanted while on their field trip to the warehouse.

1 comment:

joshua said...

Awesome Recap!!!