Friday, March 03, 2006

Oscar picks - actresses...

Moving on to the Oscar laydeez~
-----------------------
Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role

Alas, I've got a very weak foundation for making a call in this category. Of the movies starring the nominated actresses, I've only seen PRIDE & PREJUDICE and WALK THE LINE, and just don't think the performances in those films feel overly Oscarlicious...

Going with the gut in academy anticipation... I think Felicity Huffman will get picked. Being a woman playing a man getting ready to become a woman - that's gotta be an actress's dream challenge, and if you do it well, how are you gonna beat that? I mean, if someone suggests, "But what about Jessica Alba? I mean, she plays an inCREDibly convincing hot chick w doe eyes. You can't deny it!" You hit them back with, "Yeah, but Felicity, she played a MAN who becomes a woman, and I didn't doubt for a minute that she was a gender bending actress."

Also, she's dating THE COOLER, aka THE SHOVELLER, aka William Macy. Whether you think that's good or bad, she deserves something for that, donchathink? =)

Lucky for Felicity, NIP/TUCK's not eligible for Academy Awards, and she doesn't have to go up against Famke Janssen's Ava, eh?

Ha. =)

> Judi Dench - MRS. HENDERSON PRESENTS

Haven't seen this one. While the trailer looked very entertaining, the right conjunction of movie buddy and timing never worked itself out.

> Felicity Huffman - TRANSAMERICA

Haven't seen this one. But, y'know, knowing what I know of the role, I put my Academy hat on and figure she's the one to beat.

> Keira Knightley - PRIDE & PREJUDICE

I like Keira. Best Amidala stand-in ever. =) All stalking - whoops, I mean, kidding - aside, Knightley's Lizzy is perfectly spritely, willful, independent, and eloquent. It may be that time has diminished my memory of her performance, but I just can't say that she blew me away in this in an Oscar way.

> Charlize Theron - NORTH COUNTRY

Haven't seen this one.

> Reese Witherspoon - WALK THE LINE

Reese is excellent, as always. Together with Joachin they generate some wonderful electricity between their characters, but I don't feel that she knocks me out in this role. I can't describe what's missing exactly, but this just doesn't seem like the Oscar winning role for her. It may very well be that she completely and perfectly channels June Carter and should get a lot of points for that, but I'm not familiar enough (or at all) with the original J.C. to make that call.

You wanna see Reese do some wild, altho perhaps easier-for-being-younger acting, you have to check out FREEWAY, with Keifer Sutherland. It's also the source of the "ugly tree" sweet-n-sour heart. =)
-----------------------
Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role

I feel like the Academy will go for Frances McD. I didn't see her in NORTH COUNTRY, but I know she does damn fine work. She won for FARGO as the lead, but I remember hearing some TV news film critic's soundbyte that she's been nominated but hasn't won supporting actress several times.

I want to give it to Michelle. But not just for her performance, which is solid, but not amazing in my eyes. She's a fine actress when she gets to flex her acting muscles playing a character who's deeper than just Jane high school or college student. She'll get a shot at Oscar-dom in a later role, I'm sure, and at a point in her career when it will be more of an honor and less of a brand. Young Oscar winners have a lot to live up to, y'know?

I'd like to see her win because the principal or somesuch administrator of the private religious high school she attended decided to make some kind of unsolicited statement declaring that her performance and participation in BROKEBACK is a disgrace, and brings shame to the school.

WTF'inF?

I guess he never watched DAWSON'S CREEK, eh?

> Amy Adams - JUNEBUG

Haven't seen this one. I remember wanting to, and suggesting it to a couple people when discussing movie-ing options, but sadly, cannot recall any specifics about it now.

> Catherine Keener - CAPOTE

She is as good as ever as Harper Lee, but for me, not a standout. She was more of a presence and a power in her more vicious supporting roles, a la MALKOVICH and YOUR FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS. It's a great demonstration of her versatility, as I remember her best as more aggressive, not-so-likeable, and in-your-face personalities. But that she can do more than we've seen before isn't necessarily Oscar worthiness, right?

That goes for many a nominee. And probably would apply to any other year of nominees as well. Particularly for younger actors. I mean, demonstrating that you can play something other than what you've apparently been typecast as, it's a positive thing, and a great display of your talents, but not automatically award-worthy, y'know? A good actor is SUPPOSED to have range.

> Frances McDormand - NORTH COUNTRY

Haven't seen this one. Frack. Charlize AND Frances in this and I didn't see it... What is wrong with me?

I DID see AEON FLUX, tho =).

> Rachel Weisz - THE CONSTANT GARDENER

She's great in this, but y'know, I expect no less from her, heh. Not that she should be passed over for consistently delivering excellence, but - I can't describe it any other way but - I'm just not feelin it.

> Michelle Williams - BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN

Honestly, I was surprised to see her getting a nomination for this role. As I said, she's a very good wife and mother trying to keep up the love and appearances, but somehow for me, not Oscar-winningly so. It can't be easy to play that, and I don't think it's fair to reduce the argument against her nomination to "but all she does is cry and whine," y'know? Although, I suppose it is kinda funny to say when you're sizing her up against the competition.

I wish I paid more attention to movies over the course of the entire year with an eye for kickass Oscar nomination performances. When I do single out someone or some aspect of a film for Oscar worthiness, it's usually hyperbole as praise, y'know? Like Bruce Campbell in any role he's ever played. Except maybe in that impossibly craptacular CRIMEWAVE flick from way back. Who would've dreamed that the Brothers Coen x Sam "Evil Dead" Raimi = crap, right?
-----------------------

Keep on keepin on~

No comments: